Sign in to follow this  
juzz

What is this??

Hey guys!

Yesterday I bought complete setup second hand.

Most of it was in pretty good condition and only really bought it for the tank, canister and accessories.

My main concern is that it came with some plants that I know nothing about as ive never had live plants before....

The tank never ran an air pump but had a co2 kit that was empty but hadn't been used for god knows how long.

I want to know what this crap is on the leaves???

I don't really want to run co2 as my main focus is my fish, not plants.

Apparently they are needle java fern......its all attached to driftwood

Thanks

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

Edited by juzz

not easy to see but it looks like blackbeard, we sell (no more blackbeard) for treating it @ The Techden. myself, i would remove all leaves that are affected and treat with no more blackbeard and maybe spot dose with glutaldahyde

Edited by PETFISH

Firstly its very nice java fern.... go easy on it as its worth a fair amount of cash and is gonna look wicked once its all healthy.

I usually hit black beard like that with an azoo product called brush algae killer. Or as above glut dose the tank at a reasonable high dose. Easycarbo is my pick because concentration and price.

Nice score on the java fern.

Dont freak out on the black beard. It aint that bad.

ive got some "no more black beard" from the previous owner....almost 2 full large bottles.

Ill give that a crack....will it harm any fish in there with high dosages??

Whats something like this fern worth Donny??...

cheers

Never used that product. Ensure you have lots of oxygenization before trying to kill lots of any sort of algae.

I would experiment with dosage using a small bit of fern in a bucket. Use the minimal dose that is effective..... always safer for fish...... but yea can also test with a single fish in bucket if you have spare filter/heater.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

It's a very nice Java fern, the piece in the middle alone could be worth up to $30 or more.

Unless you can take a close-up pic of one of the dark leaves, it's hard to say if it's an algae and which one.

Old leaves on Java fern will turn black like in your photo. Simply snip off at the base.

It looks like the new growth is not affected?

Thanks for all the help,

ill remove it from the tank and treat it bit by bit and trim the black off.

It had been poorly maintained in my opinion. Ill try and get it back to good health.

Does it require substrate or anything for longterm health?...previous bloke had it in some eco soil/gravel.

You can plant it into substrate, but it will do much better if tied to wood or rock.

Some fertilisation will help it to recover

Go easy with whatever you're using as treatment, if the black stuff is just old leaves, you mightn't even need any chemicals.

There could be some setback, but looking at your pics, it seems to have heaps of new growth.

I would cut back the worst affected bits first, see how it reacts.

Java ferns are slow growers, so don't expect a miracle.

thanks bluebelle

I wont be butchering it, as you said ill just cut the worst off from it

Are there any water additives that promote plant growth?

Sign in to follow this