juzz

Cannister filtration setup

Hey

Ive got a 2 tier rack, each tier with a 4ft tank on it.

I was thinking about running one cannister for both tanks.

does anyone do this at all?

One thing I am concerned about is the syphon effect in a power fail from 1 tank to the other.....obviously from high to low

Would I need check valves anywhere??

Pic below shows my plan and the ??marks are where im considering where the check valves would go??

thanks

2%20Tier%20Tank.png

I think the water coming out of the canister will take the easiest path i.e. the lower tank, you could suck water from lower tank and pump into the higher tank and use a seperate over flow to flow from top tank to lower.. It would be way easier and probably cheaper in the long run just to run two filters.

Just needs one check valve where the red arrow on the inlet is on your drawing and one above the junction of the inlet from the bottom tank.

Edited by Sclero p

i did this with just one canister. the output goes to the top tank and inlet at the bottom. the two tanks are connected with an overflow pipe (handy if your tank have holes) - the excess water coming from the top tank flows on the lower tank. i added sponge and small internal filters in both tank to get a good circulation.

thanks for all the input.

the two tanks are currently running with individual filtration.....one with a canister and the other with an internal power filter...and both have sponges.

Yesterday I acquired a near new canister with approx 2600lph flow rate and Im keen to use it but don't really wana run 2 canisters due to power costs.

I have pretty much have all the pipework to do it and Is readily available from work if I new extra fittings ect

Drilling holes in the glass isn't really an option.

Ok I changed where the supply T (to tank) is and raised it to the top...to eliminate the path of least resistance as Matt suggested and help it to feed the top tank equally.

Ive also added numbers as to where the check valves could go so just suggest which number in relation to position of valve

thanks for the info

2%20Tier%20Tank_2.png

You have two intakes in your drawing, the pump is not going to be receiving supply from both tanks equally. I would think the lowest tank is going to be turning more than the top tank. As [MENTION=916]litigator666[/MENTION] mentioned, he uses an outlet in the top tank and a overflow from the top to the bottom tank of which contains the inlet.