the German

Aquaponic fitted to the fish room trial.

So iv always wanted to fit some sort of aquaponics to my fish room , to help with fillter the water but mostly just to grow some vege for no effort .so after visting a hydro shop at slacks creek and picking the poor guys brain for about 40 min he came up with a solution . I wanted something that can just run my water and some sort of closed system that birds and other animals carnt poo in to my system . It only cost me $75 for all of this ( not the seedlings)

Fitted brackets to the wall with a very slight drop one end

C8BEC238-260B-4754-A6F9-CFE5EFC9B7BC_zpsxbriwjqx.jpg

Box fitted and water from fish room coming out ( turned down the flow to about half of this pic)

57C0BDF9-5907-4CF4-8A9E-9D81DB380351_zpsv0sogwrg.jpg

Cleaned up the fitting

2DA5855E-B011-4BB0-8F54-A6AF04B452FC_zpsnyewp8ju.jpg

Return fitted and lettuce planted , all done in about 1h

FAB72B9B-4368-4E44-974C-C65C35942751_zpszttfgwtb.jpg

Cos lettuce

339E9EF9-0374-40B3-99BB-167981717591_zps8ys3qqpz.jpg

2 days latter and there shooting roots and still alive

4301518F-A3F6-4781-9D70-E3BBAC23B3E2_zpss31mol19.jpg

will keep posting as this progresses

thanks Steve

Great idea, I'll be following this one with interest to see how well the veges grow :)

Do you plan on testing the water after it has been through the tray and comparing nitrate readings with the water before it enters the tray to check the impact on nitrates?

Great idea, I'll be following this one with interest to see how well the veges grow :)

Do you plan on testing the water after it has been through the tray and comparing nitrate readings with the water before it enters the tray to check the impact on nitrates?

Probably when veg is bigger and taking out more nitrate , but didn't really build this for filtering my water just a bit of fun .like you i run a nexius and it dose a kickass job of my water . But will test down the track

with aquaponics you need to have about 4 x surface area of tanks,so to be affective on nitrates you need a lot of plants and a fairly large plant bed..remember also about carsonagenic medicines you may use on fish..not great to eat!I'm setting up a system where I isolate any tanks with medicine..remember you can't eat any fish medicated with most medicines..same goes with plants..something to chew on:?:Because I have heated fish room and controled lighting,I am designing an overhead aquaponic flow thru system for seedlings ..would be great if I could I could grow out a few zuccini..catfish have a big appetite!

Hmmmmm..... is there a failsafe for when roots block pipe and water wants to overflow out plant holes? Or maybe just trim roots?

Worst case could see you lose quite a lot of water with an overflow.

Allready thort of that ,I pulled out the last plant closest to the drain and left it empty so roots will have to be about 400mm long befor reaching the drain