blocka

Plants for dummies

As I know nothing about plants I think the title suits I've recently set up a 50cm cube I'm looking at adding some plants to my piece of wood so it looks like a bit of a tree and and maybe a few shrubs on the ground or maybe some moss I'm not planning on using CO2 so what plants if any would be suitable can it be achieved with ferts of some description the light I'm using is a 40cm 10000k beamswork thanks.

post-8538-14711633860468_thumb.jpg

Your set up is awesome. I can't give you much info on the plants, as I am learning myself, but I am curious about your cube... may I be really blatant and ask where you got it from/how much it was?

I do use java moss in one of my shrimp tanks. I bought a small quantity and tied it on with a green cotton (biodegradable material is a must) and have slooowwlllyyy let it grow out. It might, emphasis on the might, give you the 'tree' effect you're looking for. You could tie small portions onto the branches and watch it grow!

The tank was made by dennison the stand and hood was made by me as for price you'll have to contact dennison for a quote but I found it very well priced all edges polished and arised as a rough price tank stand and hood cost me about $320

Also very much a novice here on plants. I have read that dark green plants don't need as much light compared to say red plants - would be interested if that is correct.

For a floating plant I like foxtail which I just wrap around filter pipes or cords. For me it does well in low tech tanks, doesn't seem to need much ferts (compared to say potassium for hygro) and doesn't get overrun by algae.

http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Ceratophyllumdemersum'Foxtail'(021APOR)/4434

You could also use some subwssetang on the tree as leaves and HM (its like HC that people use as ground cover in high tech planted tamks but a little larger) on the ground as grass with trimming and a few ferts they are simple plants to grow and can look great!

Edited by Matmatmat

You could also use some subwssetang on the tree as leaves and HM (its like HC that people use as ground cover in high tech planted tamks but a little larger) on the ground as grass with trimming and a few ferts they are simple plants to grow and can look great!
what is HM and HC remember I'm a plant dummy

Nice looking cube, Willow Moss if you can get it for the tree, if not Singapore or Taiwan will be ok for it. Some Anubias Nana for the base of the tree and if you can get a hold of some dwarf Hair Grass would good as well.