pony-tail

Just started setting up my new desktop "nano" tank

How many litres can you have before you have to stop calling it a Nano? Or does it depend on age.

I have seen a 2ft tank called large and a 4 ft called medium - so I guess it is relative !

Edit - It is still a pretty small tank it is only 24lx18wx24h .

Edited by pony-tail

Looks really good... particularly enjoyed the spatula fish!!!! Great hint, I will be using a spatula to level out my substrate from now on!

A few changes today had to get rid of the spatula fish , just not active enough,

And started planting the hair grass - tedious job that one .

post-1094-14711633868412_thumb.jpg

Tedious, yes, but so worth the end result! It's going to look even more fantastic in a few weeks. Sad to say goodbye to good ol' spatula fish though... Good motivation for me to start my own planted tank!

Update on the tank !

once again I am having issues with Blue Green Algae ( Cyanobactera ) with EcoComplete ( I have found that this just goes away after 5 or 6 months )

I have most of the tank planted - waiting for the (hair) grass to grow and it is populated with my ods and sods - currently looking at putting in some Werneri as I murdered most of the blue eyes I was intending to put in there ( I had a heater that had moisture in it - Thought yeah it will be right till next pay day - it cracked open and tripped the safety switch for the garage - no air , no heaters , no filters for a couple of days quite a few dead fish ) cheaping on the heater it appears has cost me some of my best fish and $$$$.

I should have replaced it as soon as I noticed it to be leaking .

anyway here is a pic of it today .

post-1094-14711634050628_thumb.jpg

post-1094-14711634050822_thumb.jpg

Looking good! I have never been able to keep hairgrass alive,nor any other carpeting plant for that matter! I stick to the hardier plants in my tanks. Mostly wisteria and Java fern.

Looking good! I have never been able to keep hairgrass alive,nor any other carpeting plant for that matter! I stick to the hardier plants in my tanks. Mostly wisteria and Java fern.

I find Wisteria and most other Hygrophila species very problematic - they over grow the tank and choke evertthing else out !

I find Wisteria and most other Hygrophila species very problematic - they over grow the tank and choke everything else out !

here is what I mean - pic

post-1094-14711634050986_thumb.jpg

The fact that it overgrows is probably the only reason I can grow it!

Although not a low light plant it is tolerant of medium level lighting .

The light on the overgrown tank is a single Fluval LED strip light .

Fish are happy though - before I cut the plants back I pulled 100 small Rhad fry out in one week - If I leave them in there they vanish .

only 100 because that is all I can grow out at one time .

Still trying to get my "Desktop " tank organized I was running it with a single Kessil A150we Amazon sun and it deteriorated fairly quickly . It unfortunately took me a while to both afford and find a second identical light , by which time all the bottom leaves had dropped off the pink baby tears and the hair grass had lost ground .

Now after adding a second Kessil things appear to be on their way forward again .

I even have the Kessil gooseneck mounts ( although one came withoutt the bracket - the other light was second hand of a forum member and came complete )

[MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION] have organized for the distributor to send the missing part to me direct ( Thanks Chelsea ) not sure when it will arrive though so I have used a dodgy setup using a bag tie ( see picture )

I still have a lot of weeding and trimming to do and most likely some replanting but I have growth and pearling again ( The tank got somewhat neglected when it started to go south with just the single kessil and now I am playing catch up )

I have not ruled out a complete rescape and replant - but I would like to save my hair grass if I can , Maybe even building a scape around it .

post-1094-14711634869642_thumb.jpg

post-1094-14711634869796_thumb.jpg