lquin61

Any suggestions why my BGK passed away?

Hi there,

Just wnderinf if anyone has ideas as to why my BGK my have died today? I have had him since 2007 and we recently moved to tank water which i thought would be much better, however 2 months in new house and he hasn't made it. Totally gutted to say the least. He had the tank to himself, apart from little guppies which he fed on. Could he have over eaten? He ate out of my hand daily and was the most friendliest loving fish you could imagine. Do I get over it and be thankful he lived this long? His skin was perfect water ranges fine, temps fine. arghhh so gutted! Thanks in advance

I'd imagine it may have been from something like osmatic pressure difference town water hardness highish and rain water next to nothing look up water osmosis it's got to do with how the fishes body retains water ect

8 years ain't to bad, but yer like grubby said unless your keeping soft water species like discus and such you need to add some mineralisation back to the water. Otherwise the fish have difficulty maintaining ion levels in there body like sodium, magnesium, calcium, ect. I add a kh buffer and easylife to my rain water