Matt1234

New to the Forum, Need some advice on where to go from here with my pond

Hey guys, Just made a pond, i wanna put some natives in there, I have access to a fresh water creek which i can get Bass, Gudogens, Scat, Turtles and a few others, never had fish before. Ive currently got a Bio Filter system that my mate has helped with who is mad into hes fish, currently got a little pump to cycle the water but all new pump and **** is coming next week. More than happy to give info as needed.

Currently got about 100 Gudogens and a Bullrout in there i caught at the creek yesterday. Any Advice on Fish keeping, Fish to keep etc and any pointers would be much appreciated

Thanks guys

Matt

Not sure if pictures worked or not

post-16300-14711633863956_thumb.jpg

Yea my mate is pretty onto it with that stuff, Trying to get the water good before we start adding fish, any advice on what are the best fish to keep/that go well together? Yea i back onto the creek so its pretty well like the creek

Couple Picts

WP_20150717_003.jpg

Filter

WP_20150715_004.jpg

need a license for turtles so I would leave the wild ones alone. I would go for a more predatory approach with bass (must be a minimum of 30cm to take), bullrout, and a turtle (brought with a license obviously). Natives are as cheap as chips to buy as juvies, so you could think about purchasing yellowbelly, silver perch, barcoo grunters, sooty grunters if you can find any available, spangled perch, barra and some murray cod. The world is your oyster. Jealous of the pond thats for sure!

That pond doesn't look anywhere near big enough for a predatory set-up as suggested above. It could just be the photos but that looks like a few hundred litres tops. That measn you could have one single predatory fish if we are talking larger species. There is a maximum take of 30 Gudgeons per species so at 100 you are already well and truly asking for trouble. Putting a Bullrout in a pond is a nightmare just waiting to happen. Putting 100+ fish in an uncycled pond is also asking for trouble. Plenty of advice on this forum about setting up tanks - nitrogen cycle etc., All applies to ponds as well. Good idea to read through prior posts on the subject.

Edited by none
typo

ok sweet as, Its all up around 1200L, its cycled through a bio filter and physical filter, still have alot more to do environment wise, the plan is a couple bass and maybe a perch of some sort. Whats wrong with bullrouts?

thanks mate :)

ok sweet as, Its all up around 1200L, its cycled through a bio filter and physical filter, still have alot more to do environment wise, the plan is a couple bass and maybe a perch of some sort. Whats wrong with bullrouts?

thanks mate :)

Are you sure about that volume? What is the diameter of the pond? Bullrouts are venomous. Putting one in a pond is not a good idea for that reason both for people and pets. Stand on one and you wont forget it. If a dog plays with it or stands on it - potential disaster. Let alone kids. Same family as Lionfish - related to Stonefish.

Are you sure about that volume? What is the diameter of the pond? Bullrouts are venomous. Putting one in a pond is not a good idea for that reason both for people and pets. Stand on one and you wont forget it. If a dog plays with it or stands on it - potential disaster. Let alone kids. Same family as Lionfish - related to Stonefish.

Yea none of that is an issue, Yea, its 2m at the top, 1.8m at the base and water is about 530mm deep

If any of the fish cause issues in the tank ill just take them out and put them in the creek, simples

Don't return anything to the creek, if it gets a disease or bacterial/fungal infection in the pond it will spread through the creek In no time.

Looking good and I agree with rainbows or blue eyes, also be careful what you put up here as fisheries watch this site and your already over the limit for gudgeons.

Cheers mick