Villis a

Frontosa or tropheus

Hi all. In the process of getting a new tank which I had planned to put another colony of tropheus in but my wife has decided she would like a colony of frontosa instead. I'm open to the idea but after keeping tropheus I'm concerned frontosa might be a bit to steady. Any input on what it's like keeping frontosa would be appreciated. Are they relaxing to watch? Are they as demanding on water quality as tropheus? Cheers Andrew

Hi Andrew, I keep tropheus and love them... I have kept Frontosa before (not many about 10). Both are exciting fish to keep. However Tropheus are more demanding if you ask me.. I just had a bout of bloat and lost 9 fish... Frontosas are more colorful so your wife could be right ... either way good luck.. you can always have two tanks and keep both...:dance:

Hi Andrew, I import, keep and breed both Frontosa and Tropheus. Frontosa are very relaxing, more a gentle giant. Tropheus are great too, very active. As far as keeping wise, frontosa are alot more hardy and easier to cater for. Tropheus are more depanding on water quality and food. If you choose tropheus do your research first, they are an easy fish to keep once you understand water quality and feeding requirements. If you need some help feel free to PM me.

Fronties are placid to keep ( until you put 30-50 neons in with them ;) ) then they find their speed and activity lol. You can have a couple (1-6) or so in the tank no problems. They will eat smaller fish - inc zebra half their size so b careful. But they seem to be pretty laid back.

Tropheus, you need 1 or 10-15 plus. They're active and so many diff colour variation are around.

For either - when you go to buy them ask Lloyd Ashton. He has top quality fish. Unlike that someone down south that was ripping people off saying they were f1 when he got them off ? That had been f8+ or even Asian fish....

Nothing wrong with the Asian bred, prob better to try and learn coz they're cheaper b4 you pay big $ from Lloyd. Good luck either way :)

I currently have a colony of t.moliros and was really keen on keeping another colony of tropheus but now I've started thinking frontosa I'm starting to think I might go with frontosa. If I keep them similar to I keep my tropheus I should be ok right?

I currently have a colony of t.moliros and was really keen on keeping another colony of tropheus but now I've started thinking frontosa I'm starting to think I might go with frontosa. If I keep them similar to I keep my tropheus I should be ok right?

Frontosa everyday.... unless i get the tropheus bug :S