ORANGEMELLY

700 LITRE SEVERUM AND CHOC TANK PROJECT.....Suggestions for casters for stand

Hi everyone.

I am currently in the process of resealing my 700 Litre... 60 (L) x 32 (H) x 24 (W) tank (removing all of old silicone was incredibly difficult due to tank height) and are now thinking about the stand.

I have a 48x16x24 that I intend to use as a sump to go under main tank as well as leave a 12 inch gap above this for access. So the stand will be around 28 tall. I am considering building a stand on casters for ease of moving it. However I am not sure what sort of casters I should be getting...except that they will need to be heavy duty...The main tank is 12mm glass and incredibly heavy and then the water = 700L equating to 700kg + sand + driftwood = by my estimation the stand will need to hold around 1100 - 1200KG. The stand will be structural pine..6 legs made from either 3x3's or 4x4's and bolted together. The weight of the stand will need to be supported by the casters as well. Has anyone used casters on a stand for a big tank and what did you use?

Any ideas or experience in this area will be appreciated....sorry picture is a bit dark...but hopefully you can see it well enough..it is currently on besser blocks in middle of lounge room.

post-14718-14711633864825_thumb.jpg

And in case anyone wants to know what will be going in tank when complete...severums, chocolate cichlid, corydoras and diamond tetras with a simple play sand substrate, driftwood (already got some awesome pieces) and java fern, anubias and val.

Edited by ORANGEMELLY

I wouldn't put castors on your stand. Plus, you shouldn't move a tank with water in it.

It's quite easy to jack up a stand & empty tank with a car jack, slip a platform trolley under each end and wheel it around. Design side braces on your stand to take weight if it's wood.

I made up some 20 cm square trolleys only 80mm total height from ground. I move entire tank racks and 10 foot tanks easily by myself.

I wouldn't put castors on your stand. Plus, you shouldn't move a tank with water in it.

It's quite easy to jack up a stand & empty tank with a car jack, slip a platform trolley under each end and wheel it around. Design side braces on your stand to take weight if it's wood.

I made up some 20 cm square trolleys only 80mm total height from ground. I move entire tank racks and 10 foot tanks easily by myself.

The castors were for if I needed to or wanted to re-position at a later date - which I would do when empty...its just so heavy that I was trying to think of a way to make life easier down the track as every time I want it moved I struggle to find 4 guys to move it for me (I am a female and whilst quite strong - not strong enough) and so have had to pay guys from LFS to move it for me.

The castors were for if I needed to or wanted to re-position at a later date - which I would do when empty...its just so heavy that I was trying to think of a way to make life easier down the track as every time I want it moved I struggle to find 4 guys to move it for me (I am a female and whilst quite strong - not strong enough) and so have had to pay guys from LFS to move it for me.

Castors will be a pressure point on floor and you would need brakes to stop movement. Imagine if someone leaned on a tank by mistake.

You can put the castors on a block of wood to slide under for when you need to move tanks. No heavy lifting is required - use a hydraulic car jack. Then reverse the process when tank is in the new position.

Ya, ditch the castors and get some adjustable levelling feet if required. When I built mine I found I didn't need them but my tank will never be moved from its current position.

If you want you can have a look at an old project of mine to get some ideas. http://www.qldaf.com/forums/aquarium-projects-diy-journals-11/mackaymans-6-ft-tank-stand-sump-project-28179/?highlight=

Good luck with project, sounds like fun. Makes me wanna start a new one.

Brendan

Ya, ditch the castors and get some adjustable levelling feet if required. When I built mine I found I didn't need them but my tank will never be moved from its current position.

If you want you can have a look at an old project of mine to get some ideas. http://www.qldaf.com/forums/aquarium-projects-diy-journals-11/mackaymans-6-ft-tank-stand-sump-project-28179/?highlight=

Good luck with project, sounds like fun. Makes me wanna start a new one.

Brendan

I just read through your old build and found it very helpful and motivating.Especially that you had not built a sump before - me neither. I am going to keep my sump pretty basic and uncomplicated...probably just use plastic file with 3 levels for each different media and elevate it on some bricks. Really want to keep as much space free as possible to add plants so it acts as a refugium as well and hopefully a place to stash/raise fry. I will probably corner off a section and enclose return pump and heaters behind a hamburg matten filter as I like using those and find them excellent for water clarity. I have dropped the idea of castors. Stand will be chunky and strong. Concrete floor is level so as long as I am accurate when building stand should be good. Just a pain in the A s s that I never find people to help me move the tank. There are only 5 houses in my cul de sac and every male..even after the offer of beer has declined due to back problems WTF??? I paid the guys from Aquariums alive $50 to move it for me. Once it has been re-siliconed it will need to moved again onto stand...so am on the hunt now to try and find guys willing to help. Thankfully my tank is already drilled....the holes are 1" and there are 2 of them with one sitting slightly higher..and form what I have read that should be somewhere near 600gph????could be wrong but will think about that when I it comes time to purchase return pump...has your aqau one worked well?...and thanks for your support.

There are only 5 houses in my cul de sac and every male..even after the offer of beer has declined due to back problems WTF???

...has your aqau one worked well?...and thanks for your support.

Sounds like you need to move house :?:

Aqua One pump does work well, however it is just a back up these days as the flow rate wasn't strong enough for me and I upgraded to a Waveline DC 6000.

Cheers

You could put the sump on a separate frame on castors, disconnect and pull it out when need to move the tank. Use a car trolley jack. You just need strong enough bracing.

But how many times will you need to move it??

You could put the sump on a separate frame on castors, disconnect and pull it out when need to move the tank. Use a car trolley jack. You just need strong enough bracing.

But how many times will you need to move it??

I am not sure how many times I will need to move it...it was more a case of me trying to think ahead and plan for ways I could move it without requiring help...I am hoping that once it is in position I wont have to move it until I move house next...which hopefully wont be for a number of years yet...as I have also got 2 4 footers, a 5 footer, this tank and will be ordering my 6 foot off Mick really soon....the tank I am currently working on I bought on gumtree for $50 because the lady who owned it needed it gone for health reasons...she informed me it had a pin p r i c k of a leak and so I have very painstakingly been removing all the old silicone...with a razor blade on a stick! as I cannot reach the bottom...has taken me weeks...I have also used mineral turpentine to dissolve/get off the fine last bits ...now I am up to resiliconing..which my brother will do as he is much taller than me....so, in relation to casters and maybe needing to move the tank, it centres around how well my resiliconing holds and water tightness....I re-siliconed the 5 foot and one of the 4 foots and after a year they are still going strong...but the 700L is a lot more water and a lot more water pressure...I will look into the car trolley jack idea...thanks for your support.

post-14718-14711633870593_thumb.jpg

post-14718-14711633870237_thumb.jpg

post-14718-14711633870421_thumb.jpg

I just read through your old build and found it very helpful and motivating.Especially that you had not built a sump before - me neither. I am going to keep my sump pretty basic and uncomplicated...probably just use plastic file with 3 levels for each different media and elevate it on some bricks. Really want to keep as much space free as possible to add plants so it acts as a refugium as well and hopefully a place to stash/raise fry. I will probably corner off a section and enclose return pump and heaters behind a hamburg matten filter as I like using those and find them excellent for water clarity. I have dropped the idea of castors. Stand will be chunky and strong. Concrete floor is level so as long as I am accurate when building stand should be good. Just a pain in the A s s that I never find people to help me move the tank. There are only 5 houses in my cul de sac and every male..even after the offer of beer has declined due to back problems WTF??? I paid the guys from Aquariums alive $50 to move it for me. Once it has been re-siliconed it will need to moved again onto stand...so am on the hunt now to try and find guys willing to help. Thankfully my tank is already drilled....the holes are 1" and there are 2 of them with one sitting slightly higher..and form what I have read that should be somewhere near 600gph????could be wrong but will think about that when I it comes time to purchase return pump...has your aqau one worked well?...and thanks for your support.

If I lived in your street and you offered me beer I would also decline because I am very old and tired..

However if you offered me Bundy or Jack Daniels with honey flavour suddenly I would feel young and full of energy!! and I would be there in a flash.

Moral of story? You are too cheap!! Beer is a boys drink. You need MEN! bgomf.

Good luck with it Melons.

Edited by mbunamad
better say something nice

If I lived in your street and you offered me beer I would also decline because I am very old and tired..

However if you offered me Bundy or Jack Daniels with honey flavour suddenly I would feel young and full of energy!! and I would be there in a flash.

Moral of story? You are too cheap!! Beer is a boys drink. You need MEN! bgomf.

Good luck with it Melons.

When I look out my window in the afternoon I often see the men in my street (cul de sac) having a yarn and they are all holding beer... and I notice that they all have beer bellies...maybe I should tell them that their oversized bellies are the most likely source of their continuing back problems?..if they wont help me, I can at least be helpful to them....lol