FillingTheSilence

Pet worx led too bright

Digging up this oldish thread as I am having a lot of algae issues with this 4ft light on a 4x2x2.

Any one tried putting a dimmer on one of these?

i got one a few weeks ago and I find it's a bit too bright for my tastes

Did you end up trying a dimmer on this?

I bought 2 4fts and find they just grow bad algae no matter how many hours a day you have them on... Think I'll change back to T5 soon!

I am having the same issues. Did you give up on these?

I am having the same issues. Did you give up on these?

I'm really regretting getting these lights. They appeared to be a cheap replacement of a T5 at the time but I was very wrong. I've hung them much higher above the tanks (over 30cm), I've removed as much algae by hand as possible each few weeks, I have a thick covering of duck weed covering the surface, and STILL the algae thrives. While my other tanks are still fine, exact same water. I'm going to try and turn them off for a week or 2 and cover the tanks so they are pitch black. If that doesn't work, they are DEFINITELY going! Very close to giving up.

Over the last few months I have reduced my light to only 5 hours per day. Done a few 50-80% water changes. Tried dosing glut at some stage. Tried dosing nutrients at another stage, thinking the plants would out compete the algae but still unable to get rid of them. I have physically removed them numerous times and they still come back. I have increased aeration and flow/circulation to ensure no dead spots. Totally defeated. This is the only tank with this light. Rest of the planted tanks using other lights are doing great. I remembered this thread hence wanted to hear from others using this light. Perhaps this light is simply throwing out a incorrect spectrum? Just a thought.

The problem is not that they are too bright ! - It is that they are not the right colour spectrum , they are way too blue .

They claim to be 6500k but they are way off - they have more blue than most 10,000k lights .

That makes certain algae bloom - they will grow certain plants ok But most will choke with algae befor they grow !

If you want a light to just see your fish get a Beams Work - if you want a light to grow plants get a Fluval or a Kessil.

BeamsWork 's basic lights are bright enough to see your fish but not bright enough to grow anything much - I used them on my 'Tang' tanks did the job well .

I use the fluval plant leds on my plant tanks they work very well .

I use my only petworks( 24 inch ) light to light my garage - it does the job but is a bit too blue for that .

This I just my findings . From around 30 current leds.

I still use .

Ista 2ft pure white (I have 10 my daughter has 3 )

Fluval I have 5 of the original 1 of the new in current use

Kessil ( in my dreams when I get funds )

Beams work - 2 2ft 2 3ft 2 4ft ( currently in use on quarantine and holding tanks only )

Up Aqua 2 4ft

And various other peices of " bid bait " that I have bought off eBay some of which actually worked for more than a month .

I have two 3ft petworks lights, one marine which is great on my marine tank. I also use a green element on this tank and even though it has 3w crees it doesn't punch 80cm deep like the petworks does. The plant version is on a 3x15x18 and doesn't grow any algae. I have around 30 crypts and 25 stem plants but no algae. I also use 5 of the 3w petworks nano lights and they grow plants better than they should. Maybe I'm just lucky but I love them.

Cheers mick

I have two 3ft petworks lights, one marine which is great on my marine tank. I also use a green element on this tank and even though it has 3w crees it doesn't punch 80cm deep like the petworks does. The plant version is on a 3x15x18 and doesn't grow any algae. I have around 30 crypts and 25 stem plants but no algae. I also use 5 of the 3w petworks nano lights and they grow plants better than they should. Maybe I'm just lucky but I love them.

Cheers mick

Are all of these on deep tanks ?

As a petworks led would easily be bright enough for a co2 medium-high light on an 18 inch deep tank - if the colour spectrum was OK.

So the depth may be working in your favour !

I cant tell the difference between my marine and plant pet works 2 foot leds when I put them on my 24inch cube, they both look very blue, like a light dose of methyl blue. my 4 footer looks fine colour wise on my 6 foot.

I am about to start a planted tank for a pair of my spawing Angels and will be getting the new Fluval jobbies as i want a good spectrum. If I can swing it with the minister for finance I may get an MML as well.

Not looking good for petworx reputation. I wouldn't buy that light based on your feedback.

If you increase lighting and get algae, its usually a sign of nutrient imbalance in the water column. Higher plants need more different nutrients than algae, they are more complex life forms.

For example, if potasium is depleted, the available nitrate and phosphate is unable to be utilized by the plants and will instead be mopped up by the algae.

The type of algae is usually the first clue towards identification of the trigger behind a bloom. These days the ease of sharing pictures dramatically speeds up this part.

Combined with water test trend data most possible triggers can be either eliminated as possibles or added to the list of suspects.

The more high tech you go, the more fun you can have. As always though in this hobby, knowing how the tech and livestock work, is as important as the tech and livestock themselves. That may sound cryptic but its hard to put into words.

Overall algae can be unsightly but in most cases its an aesthetic issue rather than a life support one. Generally the longterm solution requires a focus on optimizing conditions for the plants, rather than a jihad against the algae. There are of course many options for slowing down algae, including biological control (living things that eat or outcompete algae), nutrient reset (large % water change, and a fertz redose), chemicals (algaecides, co2 injection), light manipulation (changing lights, shading plants, black outs or photoperiod adjustment), companion planting (species selection to match tech and tankmates), manual removal (picking and scraping out algae films), wmd's (pp, gluts and peroxides) and even starvation (creating nutrient poor conditions to crash blooms).

A planted tank is a complex creature, even a natural low tech style one. Ever read Ecology of the Planted Aquarium [Diana Walstad? Fascinating read with barely any tech at all discussed.

There is plenty of people who warn about having a tank near a window as it will grow algae. Me I see free light :) woooooot!

I cant tell the difference between my marine and plant pet works 2 foot leds when I put them on my 24inch cube, they both look very blue, like a light dose of methyl blue. my 4 footer looks fine colour wise on my 6 foot.

I am about to start a planted tank for a pair of my spawing Angels and will be getting the new Fluval jobbies as i want a good spectrum. If I can swing it with the minister for finance I may get an MML as well.

The interesting thing about this is it was customer feedback on the lights being to warm that led to the current models having the blue added. People wanted a 'cleaner' effect.

Perhaps they did not go far enough either way. A dedicated pinker planted and bluer reef would compliment the fresh and marine models nicely.

This thread reads like a downer, but these have been very popular lights in the hobby with overwhelmingly positive feedback.

That said obviously the dedicated planted guys want less blue. Will bring it up with Justin and plant the seed :)

Cheers mick

Not sure why those 3watt ones are so good, but I have seen nice projects done with them now. We have a customer using them to trigger indoor flowering of cactus using a programed timer.

I agree, the colour is very different to the 6500K T5s I have. They make my ADA malaya/africana soil look like a disco on the moon lol. Thats why I was trying to grow plants over it.

Ok well after reading that everyone else seems to have bad algae growth with these lights, I'm even more tempted to give up on them. I guess even if I get rid of the algae and keep the lights, the algae will just come back again :/. Maybe if I hung them on the roof it would be far enough away to not grow algae?

Are all of these on deep tanks ?

As a petworks led would easily be bright enough for a co2 medium-high light on an 18 inch deep tank - if the colour spectrum was OK.

So the depth may be working in your favour !

No c02 on that tank, i do carbon dose, ferts dose and there's about 40 Dino dung buried in the gravel. I think it's just because I have the different types of plants, stem plants grow quick and take certain elements out of the water and the crypts grow a bit slower and take different elements out.

On my 2ft planted tank I use a aqualina t5ho, ada soil and c02but I plan on hairgrass and hc in that tank. I don't think the petworks would grow hc but it works on the tank I have it on. I'm only learning about choosing the right amount and type of tech to use in different situations.

I agree, the colour is very different to the 6500K T5s I have. They make my ADA malaya/africana soil look like a disco on the moon lol. Thats why I was trying to grow plants over it.

Ok well after reading that everyone else seems to have bad algae growth with these lights, I'm even more tempted to give up on them. I guess even if I get rid of the algae and keep the lights, the algae will just come back again :/. Maybe if I hung them on the roof it would be far enough away to not grow algae?

Your first time using ADA soil?

How about some pics?

Happy to let ya'll rag on tech, but if you would like a hand using it to get good results. Chin up and post the details needed for others to give ya pointers.

Dont make me mention aquariumlife forum. Oh the embarrassment of them seeing planted peoples on here defeated by a bit of algae.

Over the last few months I have reduced my light to only 5 hours per day. Done a few 50-80% water changes. Tried dosing glut at some stage. Tried dosing nutrients at another stage, thinking the plants would out compete the algae but still unable to get rid of them. I have physically removed them numerous times and they still come back. I have increased aeration and flow/circulation to ensure no dead spots. Totally defeated. This is the only tank with this light. Rest of the planted tanks using other lights are doing great. I remembered this thread hence wanted to hear from others using this light. Perhaps this light is simply throwing out a incorrect spectrum? Just a thought.

Any chance of a picture?

Curious about the plant species you have, as well as algae type.

Thanks everyone for sharing your view and trying to help.

I'll try to put up some photos shortly.

Tank is a 4x2x2. Plants are blyxa japonica, Belem hairgrass, Amazon sword, ruffled sword, parviflorus sword, 4 different variant lotus, Aponogeton Crispus and giant val. Driftwoods are covered with us fissiden, flame moss and weeping moss.

Dino dung for root feeders, light dose of dino spit and pee since I don't have heavy water column feeders. No CO2. Light is on for 5 hours from 6pm to 11pm.

Water parameters are ph 7.2-7.4, amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20-40, TDS 120-150, temp 28-29 degrees C.

Fauna are discus, blue rams, cardinal tetras, panda corys, ottos, DRN, DAS and RCS shrimps.

Thinking of going down MML route too.

Edited by jc12