Why arent you harvesting the frogbit? Remove half, let it regrow, harvest half, let it regrow, harvest half.

You have way more nitrate and phosphate in that water than you want. Add some potasium to make it available to the plants. Manual remove the algae. Harvest the frogbit.

Pretty common type of algae bloom caused by nutrients being out of balance. As above big water changes would help, or frequent small ones if thats not possible.

Your water quality would be terrible if not for the algae bioaccumulation. Remember algae is nitrates and phosphates you can see. Ironically this style of bloom is common in tanks with lots of algae eaters in them as the algae wafers they are fed.... are high in nitrates and phosphates as.... they are made of algae.

The frogbit is an elegant aquaponics style solution BUT only if its frequently harvested and provided with the extra nutrients it needs to utilize the nitrates and phosphates.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

Ok thanks for the help. I'll be doing everything I can to solve this problem in the next 2 weeks. Today I will remove everything except planted stems so I can remove as much algae as possible. Whats the best way to supplement potassium (safe for shrimp)?

I will do as many water changes as possible. Oh and I'll harvest 1/2 the frogbit each time it regrows.

Also should I cover the tank today so it doesn't get any light? (4 days?)

Are there any other products I should buy?

Hey Brissy - Potassium is often dosed as Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4). You can buy it as "Sulphate of Potash" from Bunnings or any garden centre or can buy from Aquagreen (...or use expensive liquid potassium additives from the LFS that are mostly water) . Just a 1/4 teaspoon per 200 liters of tank volume dissolved in a glass of water then pour in once a week. should be fine with shrimp. (thats a low dose.. just enough to lift your potassium up above zero... if you doubled it you wouldn't hurt anything but I like a cautious slow approach - esp in a "problem tank".

Awesome thank you. I'll get some from bunnings in the next few days.

Cleaning the tank is going pretty well-I blasted the driftwood and bolbitus with hose and most of the algae (and mini pellia) is gone.

Trying to clean the stems is a little more tricky. Is it ok to pull them out, clean them, then put them back in again? I'm not sure if disturbing the substrate is a good idea in this situation.

The problem is more damaging the roots. That said stems tend to recover quicker altho may halt growth while roots re establish.

Shame about the pelia. I usually place it in a bucket with an airstone somewhere dark. Algae usually dies off quite quickly and the pelia can be salvaged. Bit late now but good trick for very low light plants.

I have more in my good tanks-it grows fairly fast so not a big issue. I didn't get around to pulling all the stems out today. I'll do it tomorrow. I don't have any very fast growing stems, should I get some? Foxtail, ambulia? And I should block light out for 4 days?

Edited by BRISSY

Foxtail is a good call, it oftten gets all algae covered but once again its something to harvest.

That substrate is designed to support heavy growth.... if plants arent exploiting that, the nutrients are available for algae to utilize. Any chance of a water test data and pic post after clean up?

Curious to see how it changes after a week or so. Thats gonna be the test. Only if it goes badly would I be doing the light block. We want max plant growth.

Ok well tomorrows agenda will include pulling out all current stems (and cleaning them), trimming stems in other tanks, a visit to bunnings (sulphate of potash) and a hunt for some foxtail-think I know someone with plenty. Replant all stems. Oh and I'll try and remember pics once all that is done. I've got a few medium swords too. If there is extra space in the substrate I'll chuck those in. I assume dosing trace and the sulphate of potash at the same time will be fine.

Sorry for late update. Did everything in the last comment, and got a heap of stems too :). Doesn't look that good at the moment, but if it stops the algae for the other tanks I'm happy.

Here is a picture:

IMG_3751_zpshtegow1z.jpg

How I guess its time to play the waiting game?

Pet works lights have a combination of being both very bright and very blue , which at depths of less than 60cm cause some algae to bloom , all the stem plants , hygro etc make little difference the problem is the light . Duckweed or frogbit will mask the problem - so will a teatowel or two to reduce the light .

There is no escaping that they have chosen the wrong leds for the job - If you want to grow plants in an aquarium spend the extra and get a light that does the job.

I bought 1 of the Petworks lights to test looking to buy 14 @ 3ft lights for the tanks in the garage - I wound up buying T8 flouros ( only 8 to replace ones with issues )!

I don't see how if a tank doesn't work out like it should it's the lights fault, as already mentioned algae needs more than light to grow.

This tank is only 45cm deep and I have a mix of stems, crypts, subwassatang and anubias with good growth and no algae issues. The crypts are getting their browny red colour and the stems are bright green even though I have American Cichlids, cories and way too many snails picking at the plants. I haven't added ferts, carbon, waterchanged or even cleaned the glass in around a month. I pulled the sponge out early to clean so there is some floaties but here is a few pics I took tonight._20150930_195654_zpsyzx3pavt.jpg_20150930_195722_zpsrehxuh9p.jpgDSC_0306_zpsd2czuqri.jpg

Edited by smicko

lights definitely are not the only thing ,ferts ,co2 and photo period are factors,the plants that you mention are very undermanding in lights ,but the simple fact is the kelvin rating and the led quality are just wrong in these lights pure and simple

I know most of the plants i have dont Need a lot of light, the stems up the back came from a high light, high tech tank and I haven't had any die off. They have dropped some of the red since I stopped dosing iron and potassium but that is to be expected.

Even with undemanding plants i don't have any algae issues which is what most people on this thread are experiencing. With less demanding plants than others shouldn't I have more algae issues if lights are the cause.

I have a few of these lights on different tanks and have no problem with them, i must be very lucky.

Cheers mick

your plants at the back look stunted to be honest mate i have no doubt that the lights work well for you as these lights would probably be ok for a low tech set up with low tech plants but when it comes to a true plant light these lights just don't cut the mustard,im assuming that the algae is just a matter of wrong lighting vs kelvin temperature for light dependent plants,i also noticed when i had these lights that the circuit boards where poorly manufactured as i don't think they were earth properly as even when switched off the blue lights would come on when the fixture was held the right way

I would agree that they aren't for a high tech setup but they are alot cheaper than a high output led. The plants look stunted because I only got 6 of them and keep trimming and replanting the stems to fill in the back wall. Eventually it will be thick enough at the back and I will let them grow.

I have noticed the blues come on randomly twice as well, it doesn't make sense that the blues can turn on by themselves but you can't have just blues on when you want lol.

I am using t5 ho on my high tech tank but I may be changing it if it doesn't grow my hc.

Cheers mick