Sign in to follow this  
Slipshodman

Bristlenose with strange poop, and Angelfish / Other deaths

Hi Guys,

Just after some advice...again. I have a couple of things going on.

Water parameters

PH- 6.8 (ish)

Temp 26

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

Nitrate about 10- 20 ppm (i know that's a bit high, water changes last night and tonight again if needed)

4ft 200ltr tank (25% water change weekly)

Stock, 3 x BN, 10 Neons, 8 Danios, 1 guppy, 3 Mollies, 1 x Sailfin Pleco, 1 Angelfish

Firstly i have lost 3 angel fish in the last week, a few weeks ago i had Angelfish eggs, then about a week after the female i found dead, i thought the male may have beaten it up, last Sunday the second Angelfish dead (that's the two females gone), and this morning a third swimming very slowly on its side and then would just fall to the bottom of the tank( i am sure it will be dead by the time i get home) , all were somewhat smaller than the dominant male that is left, although all started out the same size when i got them, i had put this down to bullying but i am not sure.

During the same period (over a couple of weeks) i had three mollies die, might sound strange but i had 3 black and three white, only the black mollies have died.

I make the point that there were no signs of disease on any of the fish, but the angel fish did have their fins quite chewed up bu the looks of things except for the one i found this morning.

And last night i had my male BN who also has breed in the last couple of weeks (although it seems the babies all bare one have been eaten , or something) and once again i had put it down to the male angelfish probably having snacks when the babies came out of the BN cave, anyway the male BN has this strange excretion from it that doesn't look right.

So now i am thinking that i may have a bigger problem, i have only been back in the hobby for a few months now and just cant seem to take a trick.

Any help is appreciated.

post-15484-14711633884902_thumb.jpg

Town Water..

And i treat with Blue Planet Water Ager prior to adding to tank with a home made slow drip system to make sure the water parameters don't change to quickly

I take out about 20-25% every week and when adding new treated water takes about two hours or so

the reason i ask is that i had worms in my system. usually adults are ok with it but because they have it they are more susceptible to other things like velvet etc.

Camallanus worms

I got some bird worming tablets from the vet and crushed them up and treated them that way.

I think the way they get into the system is from tank water or maybe from an infected fish.

maybe just an idea. could be something else however the link is quite good.

I'd recommend trying a different brand of food - a more 'Premium' product. Perhaps Tetra, NLS, Sera. See if a change in diet leads to improvement. I'm not saying it's the cause of your dead fish - however a good quality diet is essential for healthy fish. Your Bristlenose looks very bloated in that photo. Do you other fish look bloated as well? Mollies do not like soft , acidic water - they are far better kept at 7.8+ hardness 200ppm+ so are best kept with other species (not Neons etc which require different optimal conditions). The fact that your most "touchy fish" the Neons - have not died does suggest as Donny mentioned - it's more an aggression problem. After and at spawning Angels can become extremely aggressive towards each other. Just keep a close eye on the tank.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the advise, i will be going shopping on the weekend for some better food, and gave them Zuchini the other day

Also i am going to try and find a new home for the Angelfish (may ask the LFS if they will take him)

I notice the male BN still has thing thing hanging from him, i am getting worried about it not going...should i be ?

Sign in to follow this