Sign in to follow this  
Milwocky

Out Back 4 ft build

Hey guys so its been a whole year since ive done a thread or had a fish tank.... a year ago i moved to Moranbah which is 2 1/2 hours west of Mackay so the wife could pursue her teaching career. Its a great small town but the Aquarium hobby here is nearly non existent so finding a tank for sale was very hard. it took some time but i managed to track down a second hand 4 ft tank here, next goal was to get a filter which i had sent up from brissy, i went with a ehiem 2217. Our hardware store here is Mitre 10 and is very limited so i sorta had to work with what they had when it came to building the cabinet and hood. They came out all right but if i was living in Brisbane still it would have looked very different. Im a stainless steel fabricator by trade so timber isn't something im used to and after watching a few DIY videos on you tube i thought id give it ago, the worst that could happen is id break something and have to start again lol Materials here arent exactly cheap so i was determined to get it right the first time! this build has taken a couple of months as ive had to wait for most things to come in the mail from all over Aus, So here are some pics of the build in a few stages, ive decided once the tank has cycled it will be a geophagus tank which ones tho depend on availability in mackay i guess!

post-7372-14711633888439_thumb.jpg

post-7372-14711633888629_thumb.jpg

post-7372-14711633888799_thumb.jpg

post-7372-14711633888946_thumb.jpg

post-7372-14711633889114_thumb.jpg

Actually you may be surprised but there are quite a number of Cichlid enthusiasts in Moranbah! Pet Barn Mackay stocks a few Americans. They have Balzani at the moment. I have really good Braziliensis here and will do more Geos down the track but at the moment flat out keeping up with the ever expanding number of tanks needed for the Africans. Nice stand!

cheers none, i have spoken to a few enthusiasts here but when they sell their fish or tanks ect on the facebook groups here theres barely a hit. ill have to come sus out pet barn, ive been to a few good shops in there already, animal obessions is pretty good

Facebook isn't big up here for the fish. Even Gumtree isn't that big. Really more of a case of "word of mouth" slowly getting around being more the Moranbah "style"...

Edited by none

Sign in to follow this