Sign in to follow this  
noyakfat

Jaguar behaviour

Hi All,

My first ever jag (purchased as a 1.5" baby in March this year) is now about 6" long and lives alone in my 6 footer. He was sharing with a bristlenose until today, but his behaviour of late has become so aggro towards the bn that today i liberated the bn into my other tank. It didn't seem to be getting injured, but was being forced to live in hiding and not able to come out for fear of being enthusiastically bashed.

The past few days the jag has also started vigorously digging himself a deep hole in the gravel at the back far left hand end of the tank. He scoops up a big mouthful of gravel and spits it out against the front glass. It's quite interesting to watch and he is also obviously trying (unsuccessfully) to bite into the latex background to continue his excavation. He seems very devoted to the whole endeavour.

Can anyone shed a light on this behaviour? Is it perhaps that my little jag is now a hormonal adolescent and doing a bit of nesting? Also, any tips on sexing the jag? Perhaps "Pablo" is actually a "Conchita" or something like that... Any suggestions?

A recent photo was posted in the photography section, titled "Newbie noyakfats jaguar cichlid".

All completely normal at 6inches he/she can breed so maybe look for a mate as for sexing jags i find it hard normally a good guess is the big fast growing ones are boys and the short and stubby are girls but you only have one :(

The Chinese fella on Gympie rd Kedron has some so go buy a mate :):fish:Junkie

Hi junkie,

thanks for the reply. From stuff I've been able to read on the 'net, I assumed that it was probably normal. I find it quite fascinating and he/she really gets into it! :laugh:

The only annoyance is that now I'll have to be less lazy and do some of the cleaning myself instead of the previous sweatshop labour of the bristlenose :lol::lol: Shouldn't complain. There isn't any difficult cleaning to do with a single fish in a 6ft tank. Just gotta keep my eyes peeled he doesn't start looking at my fingers as a snack! :worry:

Thanks for your comments.

i got 2 pairs of jag size 25cm+ (female being smaller), when they breed the sand was dug up and all against the front of the tank and the rear, spawn onto the glass bottom. then when the babies are with them, they will attack anything that go into the tank.

Thanks for the reply C.

I've also noticed over the past couple of days, if I wag a finger in front of the glass the jag comes out in a territorial display, rushing out with gill covers flared and mouth agape. Very tough looking :petrified: HA HA HA. I had my hands in the tank today for a bit of plant adjustment and I'm happy to say I still have all my fingers :lol::lol:

I am enjoying the antics.

Sign in to follow this