mag-98

Gudgeons (Eleotridae) and Gobies (Gobiidae)

Im no expert in fish, so I've always looked at some of my gudgeons and wondered if someone made a mistake with the classification between gudgeons and gobies.

As you can see below, the similarities are too great to ignore.

There is no denying that some of the Gobiidae look like Eleotridae, such as some of the Glossagobius are of similar size and appearance to Oxyeleotris and Philypnodon.

Out of the Eleotridae, the most obvious look-a-likes are Oxyeleotris nullipora. At 4cm it could easily be mistaken as a goby.

At the other spectrum, Hypseleotris (empire/firetails) look nothing like gobies.

Obviously they must be of the same order of fish; Gobioidei. Gobioidei has 7 families with over 2000 species, which does not help a lot, but because they share a similar ancestry it has given them similar appearances.

What is interesting is that they do not have swim bladders, meaning they will remain on the bottom.

This makes sense as both gobies and gudgeons live in similar environments on the bottom in amongst gravel, rocks and weed.

One obvious difference is a pelvic fin sucker. A suction cup allowing the fish to maintain contact with rocks and weed in current. Anyone keeping gobies will have seen them clinging to glass and sometimes climbing out of tanks.

In other gobies it simply appears to support the fish when resting on the bottom. Gudgeons do not have this disc like pelvic fin.

If anyone has any more information or some photos of gudgeons or gobies, please post away. Lets get this goby gudgeon thread started.

post-8432-14711633908656_thumb.jpg

post-8432-14711633907821_thumb.png

post-8432-14711633908066_thumb.jpg

post-8432-14711633908325_thumb.jpg

post-8432-14711633908467_thumb.jpg

Speckled Goby,*Redigobius bikolanus

2b271e3136fa6255f43658f97f683fbf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

These guys much prefer sand over gravel - especially if you are hoping to breed them. Cheers

Im no expert in fish, so I've always looked at some of my gudgeons and wondered if someone made a mistake with the classification between gudgeons and gobies.

As you can see below, the similarities are too great to ignore.

Fish classification is not an exact science and reclassification happens constantly. Sometimes getting more diverse and specific, sometimes getting more general and inclusive. Gone are the days of specific species in fish studies though. That's quite old school thinking. It's more accurate and practical for population studies to use "species - like " as natural hybridization and foreign introductions are too common to be ignored any longer, especially if using DNA to track.

Took me a bit but yeah! Wicked camo! My question is how did the person with the camera see it????!!!!!

The person with the camera (myself) is an absolute native fish nut who loves nothing more than snorkelling and photographing native fish in the wild :-) Spent a fair while in the area admiring other Gobies when I thought I noticed a slight movement in the corner of my eye - then saw this awesome little fella ;-)