Ok so im new to brine shrimp..tried them years ago but basically was a fail!

Had a hatching box (small black box you filled with water an added the egg an salt mix then put lid on an filled a little cylinder with water an a lid with a pin hole that you put on the black box up side down an apparently the baby brine would swim up in to the freshwater cylinder to the light)

i would get about 10-20 per sachet of 10000s eggs. Even if i added extra dry eggs :(

so! How do you hatch a good steady amount?

I want to know set up (with pics if can) and what eggs you use? And where you get them?

Are they eggs an you add salt? Etc

the more details i have then i may be able to actually hatch them for next spawns. Please an thank you!!

It's alot easier now with decapsulated eggs, get them from age of aquariums.

No pics unfortunately but I used to use a coke bottle, cut the bottom off then turn it upside down and have a hole in the lid with an airstone.

I got a fairly good hatch rate and I used a 10ml syringe with airline on the end to suck the hatched ones out and measure the amount put in the tanks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers mick

I use a DIY hatchery made out of a 2L drink bottle. There are lots of YouTube videos to show you how to make one.

1.5 teaspoon of non-iodised salt and 0.5 teaspoon of Epsom salt for 0.5L of water. Just use normal tap water and you do not have de-chlorinate it.

The brine shrimp usually hatches in 18-24 hours at 28 degree Celsius. This is what works for me and others may have varying ways.

Google should provide heaps of information as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks that really did help!

Will youtube some DIY hatchers! (I dont use youtube so it didnt even come to mind)

This will sound silly but can i get non iodised salt from the supermarket? Iv only heard of table salt (iodised), sea salt, himalayan, an epsoms

And where is the best place to buy? Im new to online buying so only know about ebay. Wanting somewhere cheaper than in stores as in nz i was paying $22-$40for a small vial or $8 for a little packet or egg an salt premix

Your looking in the best place mate and you can get decapsulated ones of a bloke off Ebay now you can feed straight to your fish so no need for all the mess or try the frozen Brine Shrimp packs and the rock salt stuff comes Non Iodised

This will sound silly but can i get non iodised salt from the supermarket? Iv only heard of table salt (iodised), sea salt, himalayan, an epsoms

You can get non-iodised salt easily from Coles or Woollies. Home brand ones will do. They are on the same shelf as the iodised ones.

Thanks JC12 will get some in the groceries

Yes just been looking on ebay.

Can get 100g decapsulated BS $20.95 AUD

So might buy some on pay an give a little go. Was watching videos on raising left over BS to adult for larger fish too

The decapsulated ones on ebay i noticed are non hatching..im wanting hatching ones

Went to my LFS they only had 20g $8.50 hatching brine eggs or the same but 453g tin $140

He said they are magnitised..what on earth is that? (Will look it up soon)

Cut a bottle, added water, salt, eggs. Put a light over the top an air line. That was about 10pm ladt night an today 3pm can see some swimming around. Will give it more time for the others to hatch. Room temp which is under 25deg round about?

Im guessing its easy to just chuck a teaspoon if table salt (non iodised) in to 1L water than carting seawater home..plus seawater you wont just be getting clean salty water, you will be collecting other parasites an god knows what thats inside the water..then feeding it to your pet

I just used non iodised salt as i had it on hand, no epsoms salt. An i just had thousands hatch!

post-14707-14711633994922_thumb.jpg

Other parasites in marine water is rare. Rock salt not noniodised salt is better, but you'd be best off using saltwater mix to make up the water. Go down to the beach and get some water urself would b the best...

Get an old tank and put it out in the sun with some old tank water and let it go green. This algae is all you'll need to feed the bs as they grow.

The shrimp are photo(tropic?) I think it is, means they're attracted to light. So when you turn the airstone off they will congregate closest to a light source. Try not to get the empty shells when collecting the BBS too as these can kill fry.

Another question, i collected a couple hundred out of the old water an made a fresh batch of salty water to put them in with a bubbler an fed them, just checked an all but a very few have died but the ones sitting in the old water with the unhatched eggs an shells etc in a take away container with no bubbler as i had yet to dispose of it are still alive, getting bigger an swimming fast (seem healthy?) havnt fed them as was going to tip it just havnt had time.

Anyone know why?