mitch-91

what are the benifits of a sump?

hides all your filtration, heaters etc away and out of sight so tank looks neater, much bigger area for biological and mechanical filtration, depending on your stocking numbers/ fish being kept, you can go a much longer time between maintenance compared to a canister filter, I can go 4months without a water change and about two-three months change a bit of filter wool that's it.

What's ya tank dimensions? What are u keeping and how many how often do u water change and what% ??? And wat filtration are u currently running if ...we maybe able to help abit more if ya answer those questions... See if it's worth it the go down the sump track or not ....

I have a 5x2x2 running on a sump with 30 Bemba in the tank and are thriving. Crystal clear water, clean sponges in filter every two weeks and only cleaned the rest of the filter once in a year and a half. Sumps are better in that you have the bacteria thriving as you dont have to clean the whole thing like a cannister. Wont clog like cannisters do and reduce the flow. Still have some cannisters and hate cleaning them, sumps are much easier for maintenence. Aiming to have all my tanks on sumps one day. still do 25-50 percent water changes each week, probably dont need to but gives me peace of mind.