verfnew

Females Guppies dieing after giving birth

Is it a common practice for female guppies to die after giving birth.

I have had quite a few guppies die after giving birth and it happened again yesterday.

I feed my guppies 3 times a day and when I fed at lunch time all was well but when I fed again at 5pm a female was on the bottom of the tank barely alive and new fry were swimming in the tank.

My water parameters are NO3 zero, NO2 zero, PH 7.5, KH 80, GH 30, water temp 26 degrees Celsius. The ratios that I keep are usually 1 :2 or 2:5 but the tank that I lost my last female only contained females as i had lost the male to clamped fins a while ago. The tanks have Java Moss and Hornwort in them.

Is it a common practice for female guppies to die after giving birth. I have had quite a few guppies die after giving birth and it happened again yesterday. I feed my guppies 3 times a day and when I fed at lunch time all was well but when I fed again at 5pm a female was on the bottom of the tank barely alive and new fry were swimming in the tank. My water parameters are NO3 zero' date=' NO2 zero, PH 7.5, KH 80, GH 30, water temp 26 degrees Celsius. The ratios that I keep are usually 1 :2 or 2:5 but the tank that I lost my last female only contained females as i had lost the male to clamped fins a while ago. The tanks have Java Moss and Hornwort in them.[/quote']

It does sound odd to me. They should be fine so something is going on there. First time births for a fish may be a little more problematic but they are guppies (the FW rabbit).

Is tank heavily planted or something to get 0 nitrates? Rest looks fine (maybe gh a little low). I assume this is from the cardboard strip test?

Also assuming not overfed? Some thoughts anyways.

The water parameters were from a test strip and I have just checked my nitrites with the test tube and drops and they still say 0.

The tanks do have plants in them but I would not say heavily planted.

I have 11 tanks and the water is all town water treated with water conditioner. They all don't contain guppies.

The water parameters were from a test strip and I have just checked my nitrites with the test tube and drops and they still say 0. The tanks do have plants in them but I would not say heavily planted. I have 11 tanks and the water is all town water treated with water conditioner. They all don't contain guppies.

Are they all the same batch from the same store? I had a school of Platys that I lost one at a time over a year. In the end I put it down to bad genes.

Are all of your guppies from the same stock? If so it could be a genetic issue.

I suggest at least 3-5 females per 1 male, to ensure that your females are not harassed to the point of exhaustion.

If you can provide some long weeds for the females to rest in while they give birth. Or separate her into a fish fry net box while she's giving birth, it will stop other fish from harassing her. You can also set up the netting with a divider to allow fry to swim away from the mother (so they don't get eaten by mum).

Long weeds will also give fry somewhere to hide and are a great food source.

I suggest getting a few guppies from different stock (here on forum at various locations, gumtree various locations and lfs) to strengthen the genetic lines of your fish.