littlebitfishy

Are Cherry Shrimp Good Live Food For Fish?

they make for very expensive live food!

I know that some breeders will cull unwanted shrimp by feeding them as live food, but you'd need a lot of shrimp to have a stable supply... (I think)

They will also make your fish colour up nicely and as cherries are prolific breeders it does not take long to get the Cherries going and can be as simple as a good amount java moss and your up and running. It is a numbers game - the more you have the more they will produce or start with a few and they will breed up well to get the numbers - either way a top food and a cheap one long term and your fish will love them, well love them to death anyway.

Bit off topic but another legendary benefit of the cherry shrimp is the ability to control fungal issues with eggs

So remove eggs(in pot etc) and set up in separate tank with some cherries and watch your infertile and bad eggs disappear

Little breeding tip for young players out there :beer:

I've always had cannibal cherries :( Watched them eat fertile eggs and a few fry too. *******s... This was full grown cherry shrimp though, unsure if the smaller would do this too.

Similarly, I had cherries eating both fertile and non-fertile blue ram eggs. I even tried using cherry juvies but all eggs were gone the next day. So I'll say try it with caution.

How do you breed cherry shrimp? Will they breed in a floating tank with moss?

Yes @littlebitfishyfunny provided the floating tank is anchored down during a storm.

Very best of luck with your breeding programme in this Styrofoam [possibly] tank?