marc0polo

Buying my first canister filter

So I'm about to buy a used filter, and I'm considering getting either an aquavital avc 1000, or an Ehiem 2213. (They will both cost the same).

I haven't seen too many reviews around the internet for the aquavital, buy Ehiem is a pretty reputable brand. Which filter would you guys recommend, and is there anything else that I should bear in mind?

Thanks for your help :)

Personal experience with Canister "o" rings is Eheim Classic 2213/2215/2217 only the 2217 has needed an "o" ring ( at 6 years )

Eheim 2026 around 3 years ( leak prone filter no longer in use )

Fluval 105/205/305 need seals at around 2 -3 years ( a couple of the 305s went at 18 months ) ( I have 7 @ 305 2@205 and 2@105 )

Jebao - good when new very leak prone once cleaned for the first time - hard to reseal

SunSun problematic after first year - leaks / dead motor ( what warranty ?)

They are the only ones I have used lately

Fluval easiest for parts - Eheim mostly available - Jebao some available if you search hard enough - SunSun (What are spare parts)

Avoid oddessey 500.. although a bargain at around $100 ...they do turn over a massive amount of water but the design is poor in that the pump sits at bottom of canister with its intake halfway up canister, I found that i was having issues with stuff below the intake line remaining trapped under the foam..and then rotting...and it is a B i t c h to pull apart and clean...I removed the pump from the canister and now just use that part for my water changes..

I've had a oddessey 500 for about 6 months no worries. The pump is great. never needed to clean it, just waiting for it slow down. what do mean orangemelly about rotting stuff?

The very bottom layer of foam accumulates a load of crap if you dont pull out all of the foams fortnightly and clean it...I had a massive algae die off in my 5ft comet tank because my light died...all of the algae accumulated under the foam..I lost 1 11 inch comet and 4 silver dollars as a result. I could not work out what was happening because I had only cleaned canister less than 2 weeks previous..but when I opened it up there was a foul dark green smelly sludge trapped under the foam....so my water change that I did, was in effect, ineffective due to this...the pump is great though.