Brengun

Cacatuoides double red vrs super red. Cross them?

I have gotten a hold of my first every cacatuoides super red female. She's called flick as her job is to eat all the flatworms and copepods in my tanks. She's a pretty little thing and I was thinking of getting some more.

Trouble is I have only come across double red for sale and that's probably fine for bug eaters but is it taboo to cross a super red to a double red if I were to breed them?

I haven't heard of super red but [MENTION=3782]pandapete[/MENTION] has triple reds, not sure if they are the same. [MENTION=2388]Daydream[/MENTION] has also bred alot of apistos so he might have an answer for you.

Cheers mick

Panda Pete explained this to me! Not sure about the super red, but the only difference between double and triple is the number of fins coloured.

I assume super red is just a cacatuoides with extremely vibrant colouring.

Pete would be the man to say for certain, or [MENTION=4633]regani[/MENTION]

They are both man made strains of the same species and they don't necessarily breed true, either. If you keep a pair of super reds you will have just a better chance of getting super red fry, you will also have a chance of getting less colourful individuals which will then be double reds or even just "normal" cacatuoides.

Crossing super and double red will likely reduce the number of individuals with the super red colour pattern, but if want to continue the super reds you can always pick the best fry and continue to breed for super red colouration.