ORANGEMELLY

My 700 l severum and chocolate cichlid tank project

FINALLY.....TANK IS UP AND RUNNING....YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAA.

If anybody wants a looksy:

I am using a 150 litre tub for my sump. . I have 3 smaller tubs which I drilled heaps of small holes in top 2 and they are stacked one on top of each other. I am turning over approx 2500 - 3000 litres per hour. pump is 3000LPH pump. Top tray has poly filter and foam, 2nd has bioballs and last (bottom) submerged chamber has marine pure spheres and lava rock.

I dumped all of the bioballs and ceramic rings from their old canister filter into sump as well as some of the foam to seed it. Also used some of the driftwood and rocks from their old tank.

All fish seem to be getting on okay. I decided to put Phillip into the tank...he is still being bullied and so am considering adding my 4 silver dollars as this may serve as a bit of a distraction to the bullies...????? what do people think? I think there is room for them....thoughts????

At present severums are the size of my hand and "Honey" the oscar is a couple of inches bigger...

I have tried to ensure that there are an adequate number of "caves" for all of the fish to sleep and ample swimming room. I went with ordinary play sand as the substrate - about 1 inch deep. Light at present is just a desk lamp - I will get new light after my surgery/recovery.

Nice tank. Maybe a couple of large hardy low light anubius or Java fern would look nice in there tied to the driftwood?

Yeah..when I recover from my surgery I want to add some to the high branch on the left side of the tank...anubias which I will just glue to the wood when I do water change (gorrilla grip gel glue - is what I need to use apparently)...and at the moment the wood is leeching some tannins and I am lighting tank with a desk lamp...I may just change out bulb for a LED 6500k daylight bulb - have that on my planted tank and it is working well...I ended up putting all 4 severums in - which includes Phillip, the one who was getting picked on....I realised that that is what happens in a tank - there is always someone who has to be at the bottom of the rung....I was also considering adding my 4 silver dollars...?

Added the silver dollars to the tank...."Honey" - my oscar - not too happy about it and has been chasing them with the odd attempt at bite...none successful...seems to have thrown the severums a bit as well...the dominant sev is also chasing the $$$..."Phillip" seemed more curious about them and not bothered...will give it time and see how it turns out...I think I will try and add a plant as the $$$ would probably appreciate more cover...anubias and java fern me thinks....

Silver $ loveee eating plants , Don't know about using them for cover but most certainly for dinner !

Apparently (we will see)..they dont like java fern...and some dont like anubias...I will just put them in and see..if it does not work - oh well.

Apparently (we will see)..they dont like java fern...and some dont like anubias...I will just put them in and see..if it does not work - oh well.

You are right in that they will not eat Java fern (it's bitter to the taste) and Anubias (the leaves are to tough) but they will rip them apart, having said that, you could always use silk plants if you're only looking for shelter for the Silver $$$.

You are right in that they will not eat Java fern (it's bitter to the taste) and Anubias (the leaves are to tough) but they will rip them apart, having said that, you could always use silk plants if you're only looking for shelter for the Silver $$$.

was thinking $$$ could do with somewhere to go to be a bit safer...I was worried because the oscar and one of the severums had been chasing them on and off for most of the day....seems to all have stopped now...I fed them ..they all ate together - no problems and now it is as though there was never anything wrong.....could be a ruse....will keep watching them closely..

Somebody forgot to tell my SDs that they don't eat Java Fern. They've eaten every single plant that gone in the tank. If your happy to.pht driftwood in just get plenty of relatively thin branches and chuck them in one end/a corner. The silver dollars and probably Phillip will hide out in their while the bigger fish like Oscars have to move slowly through it. Works for me.

Oh and hi guys, on here for Americans, Monsters and Natives mainly.