ORANGEMELLY

African cichlid ID - is this a hongi female?????

Hey all...I bought 2 mbuna believing they were female hongis..as that's what the label said...I have a male hongi who looks like all the pictures i have seen of male hongis...but I am not sure if my female hongis are hongis or something else....I shot some video tonight of one of the females in question. Could you guys take a looksy and see what you think it is .

Thanks.

Hi Mel the circled fish is not a Hongi. It looks as though there may be a female Hongi in the tank though- to the right of the circled fish when it first appears. This second fish is not very clear in the video but from what I can tell it looks like it could be a female Hongi.

Edited by none

Hi Mel the circled fish is not a Hongi. It looks as though there may be a female Hongi in the tank though- to the right of the circled fish when it first appears. This second fish is not very clear in the video but from what I can tell it looks like it could be a female Hongi.

That's one of my rusties. My stock list is:

6 yellow labs

3 rusty's

4 yellow tail acei "tanzania"

2 red zebs

3 cobalt blue

1 afra cobue

1 maingano

1 hongi male + 2 unknowns sold as hongi females..

I have no idea what they are but they dont look like the ones on google image..

I bought these from aqauriums alive and so I expected/assumed that the label would be correct.

They are both pretty fish and I have no intention of getting rid of them or anything..but I just dont know what they are...they both change colour from time to time as well.

I will have to try and get clearer video/photos.

Thanks for reply [MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION].

[MENTION=14718]ORANGEMELLY[/MENTION] said:

"I bought these from aqauriums alive and so I expected/assumed that the label would be correct."

I would have expected Aquariums Alive to correctly label their tanks as they are a reputable aquarium.

Next time you are there ask them if they are positive they are Hongis?

[MENTION=14718]ORANGEMELLY[/MENTION] said:

"I bought these from aqauriums alive and so I expected/assumed that the label would be correct."

I would have expected Aquariums Alive to correctly label their tanks as they are a reputable aquarium.

Next time you are there ask them if they are positive they are Hongis?

I did. Problem was that there were no longer any in the tank I got them from for him to know what I was talking about. So we (my brother was with me) tried best we could to describe the fish..the guy was unable to say what it was. I dont think there was any intent on their part to deceive at all. I have always found the guys at aquariums alive good to deal with and nice blokes. The fish were also juveniles and bland when we bought them....I had googled hongis before I left and what I saw did look like the pictures I had seen on google....they did look like female hongis at the time...and they still may be some type of legit hongi. I have video of the fish on youtube and the the people who have commented believe i'ts a hybrid...maybe a yellow lab x. Either way, I have 2 of them and they are good looking fish and have been no bother in the tank. I have no intention of breeding and selling my mbuna and so I am not really concerned...we just wanted to know what to call them.

To me ,the circled fish is a rusty ,going on the colouration of the finnage ,otherwise it's to dark of a video to tell by body coloration and patterns. And it looks like it's pretty stumpy like a rusty.

Going to try and get better video at a later date...consensus seems to be that it is some type of lab x hongi x...the body shape and dorsal are similar to that of a yellow lab yellow with black line running along it..and their behaviour is similar too .....either way they are are nice pair of fish - hybrid or not...and as I am not breeding them to sell I am not worried about them being in my tank..thanks for having a look and trying to help me out.

Looks to be an Electric Yellow x ????? to me especially towards the end of the video

Yeah..that seems to be the consensus of every one who has replied..I have 2 of them and they are both beautiful looking fish..and Im not breeding any of my fish for selling purposes any way, so I am happy to have them in my tank....thanks for having a look and replying.