Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Outofideas

Amazon frogbit

Just to clarify what Grubby said, it was declared a noxious weed in 2013, but the DAFF hasn't updated the noxious plants part of their website (correct me if I'm wrong, can't find it though). The most concrete evidence I found was this news article here: https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/plants-animals/plants/herbarium/weed-species/. Since it's supposed to be on the list, it's not entirely legal to Buy, sell, trade Frogbit. If you go down to any river system, there will be tonnes of it though (along with all the other "noxious species" - up here in Ross we literally have nearly everything on the list, from Cabomba, Salvania to Water Lettuce).

A ?legal alternative would be Duckweed (Lemna minor), but I'd be cautious in introducing this - there's a reason why people call it the Herpes of the Planted Aquarium :blabla:

That's weird my Amazon frogbit never looked like that. It was a flatter floating plant

To be honest, that was my impression as well. I wasn't aware they could grow parts out of water, but maybe I'm just naive....

A ?legal alternative would be Duckweed (Lemna minor), but I'd be cautious in introducing this - there's a reason why people call it the Herpes of the Planted Aquarium :blabla:

Another native that works great is Giant duckweed Spirodela polyrhiza. I like it a lot better than traditional duck weed because its far far far easier to manage its spread and its not as "contagious" as regular duckweed. Its about 5-6 times the size of regular duckweed...

Pardon my ignorance but why is it a noxious weed?

I love the look of it. I've had duckweed but my goldfish ate it all up!

Any other suggestions as to nice floating plants that are legal?

My goldfish do the same as well, but I literally have a never ending supply - just set some aside in a storage tub somewhere that gets at least a little bit of sunlight every day (cover it with mesh so no mozzies get in) - in a few weeks you won't be able to see the bottom of it, and you'll have a thick sludgy layer of duckweed.

As for alternatives (I'm assuming you want floating plats with leaves at the surface like frogbit), as mentioned above the giant duckweed would be an option. You can also use Azolla Pinnata (Duckweed Fern) I believe, but this looks completely different. I'm not too familiar with much else, unless you were willing to go with a floating stem plant like Elodea/Hornwort/Myriophyllum/Water Sprite. Someone else might have better information for you though :attention:

Just a FYI I just got off the phone with DPI Biosecurity Queensland (PH 132 523)and Frogbit is a weed but is fine to have in your tanks or to give away and sell but you can not introduce it into the wild, as in do not throw out in the bush/waterways

The only plants that you can not have in your tanks/garden or sell are on the Declared Plants of Queenland list here https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/plants/weeds-pest-animals-ants/weeds/declared-plants

If you need any more info on Frogbits or any other plants in your tank just give the DPI QLD a ring on 132 523 I am sure they will be able to help you