Catweazle

Tropheus and Spinach leaves.

Hi All, I have about 30 juvenile trophs around the 4 to 6 cm mark. I have recently started putting in a couple of raw green spinach leaves and they totally smash it and leave no mess whatsoever.

I wash them in cold water and attach them to the glass with the magnet cleaner. The Eretmodus even eat them.

My question is are they any good for them, will they be harmful in anyway. I read somewhere that it was not good for them but other places say it is I know they love them.

Hi Catweazle,

I have never tried Spinach but my Trophs always loved a feed of fresh Lettuce and frozen peas in particular. May I suggest a quick dip in boiling water for 5 seconds though just to be sure to kill any harmful bacteria that may be on the surface. In the wild they eat large amounts of algae which is very low in nutrition in comparison to most store bought fish foods. Because of this they have extremely long digestive tracts to get as many nutrients out of plant matter as possible. In my opinion i would suggest feeding them some greens as i found it beneficial for my Tropheus and is a good long lasting distraction from fighting and chasing each other around. But be sure to clean up any excess left overs, especially with pea shells, and an increased load poo.

Cheers,

Tim