mbunamad

Hot Topic Friday August 14 2015 Is there a way to stop rip offs in the aquarium hobby

A well respected member of this forum has unfortunately been ripped off with a purchase of fish.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to mimimize this happening?

Would it be possible to have a national registry of honest reputable breeders?

If so how would it be policed?

Intriguing question. There has been another major blow up in the fish world this week with a person being accused of selling F1 fish that are just not.

I think people need to understand buy fish on quality, not on name. Lots of rip offs use exotic name to claim something new or special to gain your money. Look at the actual fish and choose quality. If you do not know what to look for ask some of the experienced members here.

Lots of the rip offs put down the quality of other peoples fish to upgrade there own in the eyes of the consumer. Any quality merchandise does not needed to put down the opposition. As soon as negative advertising occurs it means you have nothing to offer - look at our current crop of politicians......

This is why I believe in the QLDAF revolution standing against this practise.

We also need to educate people. People need to know how to really pick a quality fish. The little obvious questions need to be answered here without them being told to Google it, as this way we remove oxygen from the fakes. Time taken to answer a "noob" question will remove oxygen from these guys who get a little fantasy of followers.

If I know the person who you are talking about, then there is a question, how do you buy quality remotely, as you need to be able to trust the word of the seller. This is a challenge. We do have a name and shame deliberately to allow people who have had bad deals on this forum to speak. I think transparency helps.

The prospects of actually removing the rip offs are slim, but start with the revolution.

This is why I believe in the QLDAF revolution standing against this practise.

We also need to educate people. People need to know how to really pick a quality fish. The little obvious questions need to be answered here without them being told to Google it, as this way we remove oxygen from the fakes. Time taken to answer a "noob" question will remove oxygen from these guys who get a little fantasy of followers.

Would that be a good idea for threads by some more experienced keepers, what to look for when getting some of the more popular fish or even who to contact if you have questions on how to choose? I have no idea how to choose a quality fish I just make sure it's breathing and moving but only have some slight idea on who to ask due to being on here for over 12 mths. And Id my fish always ends up with 4323677 different ideas of what it is rather than education on avoiding the problem in the future.

Almost everytime I have been sold dud fish they have been pre caught and sitting in a small bucket .

And if buying dry goods and somebody says" yes the item is complete my husband has the other bits out in the garage you will have to come back and pick them up later as he is at work " don't pay 'till you have all the bits ( I got stung recently like that ) the bits were not all there and the item does not function without the missing bits .

While ever money is involved there will always be somebody trying to cheat you out of it !

How about a feedback system like ebay. If you deal with a member on here you can give them a rating on how it was to deal with, like communication, quality, and such.

Would be limited to the forum tho so it wont help for those on fb or petlink

The short answer is NO-there is no way to stop rip offs in the hobby. Everybody's got a sad story about being ripped off-me included.

But for every bad story there's probably 10 good stories.

This is exactly the sort of thread that needs to be nuked.

umm..

with a person being accused of selling F1 fish that are just not
are what about all the home printed Fo certs?? really got my laught for the day..

i have F0 venustus here, got an A4 to prove it.. fry going cheap 3cm 10ea..

but to the subject title-

ripped... be smart

nation reg... your kidding we cant even keep race horses or feral camels regestered n tracked.

policed? start at the ekka ... some crossed e blues with 3rd place tag?? really.

The short answer is NO-there is no way to stop rip offs in the hobby. Everybody's got a sad story about being ripped off-me included.

But for every bad story there's probably 10 good stories.

This is exactly the sort of thread that needs to be nuked.

This thread needs to be NUKED??

Why???

If there are dodgy things going on in the hobby DONT discuss them and look for answers??

If this is what you mean I am amazed!!

@Ado 84 said:

"ripped... be smart" What is your suggestion for how to be smart?

"nation reg... your kidding we cant even keep race horses or feral camels regestered n tracked" I realize this is probably pie in the sky stuff but I guess the qldaf "breeders registry" is a start.

"policed? start at the ekka ... some crossed e blues with 3rd place tag?? really. " If that is the case did you bring it up with any officials? If true that is not a good result!

I would love to see a comment from @the German on that claim.

It just really looks like the majority of people want pretty fish, don't care about anything else. There will always be the few dedicated to keeping pure strains. But as it goes on breeds will die out and by that time it will be to late and we can start a new thread where are all the quality old school fish gone.

@Ado 84 said:

"ripped... be smart" What is your suggestion for how to be smart?

"nation reg... your kidding we cant even keep race horses or feral camels regestered n tracked" I realize this is probably pie in the sky stuff but I guess the qldaf "breeders registry" is a start.

"policed? start at the ekka ... some crossed e blues with 3rd place tag?? really. " If that is the case did you bring it up with any officials? If true that is not a good result!

I would love to see a comment from @the German on that claim.

I'm not a official or the judge of the ekka .i only enter my fish for fun and try to win Afro-Asia class , fish but my be stressed or whatever , not my place to say ,i dont no who entered it . That bing said if there are only 3 fish in that class then thay still give out #1#2#3 place , like i allways say you have to be in it to win, if you have a beter fish then enter it come along setup ,bring in your fish and win ,I would love to see the ekka fish show be huge like the aca but if no one enters then there's only ever a few fish per class and yes some times bad fish win becouse there's no outher fish in that class

I'm not a official or the judge of the ekka .i only enter my fish for fun and try to win Afro-Asia class , fish but my be stressed or whatever , not my place to say ,i dont no who entered it . That bing said if there are only 3 fish in that class then thay still give out #1#2#3 place , like i allways say you have to be in it to win, if you have a beter fish then enter it come along setup ,bring in your fish and win ,I would love to see the ekka fish show be huge like the aca but if no one enters then there's only ever a few fish per class and yes some times bad fish win becouse there's no outher fish in that class

This is the problem with the shows. Many folks will not risk there fish in these shows, especially the showpiece, and hence the guys who are showing there fish are pretty committed to making the hobby better and showing there fish. Well done to everyone who makes the effort.

Interesting, I would have thought the ekka would have been big for this, though I guess as stated most wouldn't want to risk their fish, and what's more risky then moving fish in the cold season to a place humans pass on to keep from getting sick themselves.

It just really looks like the majority of people want pretty fish, don't care about anything else. There will always be the few dedicated to keeping pure strains. But as it goes on breeds will die out and by that time it will be to late and we can start a new thread where are all the quality old school fish gone.

I wish that quote was in font size 36 bold and at the top of every page. Cam you are exactly right and this is what is happening already - species have already been lost. Others have had the gene pool in some cases irrepairably damaged by cross-breeding. Yet still it goes on.... Sad and shameful on the aquarium industry as a whole.

I have thought about entering fish but it is risky which has stopped me.

I think a good starting point for shows would be one of the Caboolture ones, more fish orientated people attended and are on hand if something does start to go wrong.

I would consider entering a show around in summer but Caboolture is 2 hours from me so the fish would be stressed so I couldn't see them doing well in judging.

On the topic of the thread i don't think there is a way to stop people trying to scam. I've adds for years from people selling cheap imported arowana but if only established names are trusted it would stop new people getting a good name.

In the shrimp hobby there is alot of newbies getting ripped off as they don't understand grading or value and it's only going to end badly for the hobby as a whole.

The hobby is small and word gets around but by the time it does how many people have been ripped.

It's a hard thing to police or act upon so unfortunately I can only see it getting worse as quality declines.

Cheers mick

In the shrimp hobby there is alot of newbies getting ripped off as they don't understand grading or value and it's only going to end badly for the hobby as a whole.

The hobby is small and word gets around but by the time it does how many people have been ripped.

It's a hard thing to police or act upon so unfortunately I can only see it getting worse as quality declines.

Cheers mick

On the other hand, plenty of people pay peanuts for shrimp worth a fortune. Some amazing scores for those with an eye, and plenty of breeders willing to add in something special as a sneaky bonus :)

so true

umm.. are what about all the home printed Fo certs?? really got my laught for the day..

i have F0 venustus here, got an A4 to prove it.. fry going cheap 3cm 10ea..

but to the subject title-

ripped... be smart

nation reg... your kidding we cant even keep race horses or feral camels regestered n tracked.

policed? start at the ekka ... some crossed e blues with 3rd place tag?? really.

[MENTION=1969]smootheye[/MENTION] Greg are you able to comment on these topics?

So its not the quality of the fish that judges base it but could also be a "winner by default" even if not looking good.

Thats not a good reputation for the ekka then. Ill just not sell my ugly oscar and enter it next year - who knows i might even win a grand champion ribbon to brag.