If your tank is in the house then personally I'd dress the tank up with substrate. No reason not to make it look nice :)

For breeding tanks, bare bottom with a thin spattering of sand on the bottom. Just takes the reflection off the bottom of the tank. It's really just a quality of life thing for the fish imo and I dunno about other people but whenever I see a complete bare bottom tank It seems to always draw my eyes to it.

For any substrate choice, I'd just make sure that its smooth.

It is a 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft.

Setting this one up specially for the 333, however they are not going into it yet so thought I'd ask a few options about substrate options for them 😊

Hmm wondering if they were particularly fussy, have driftwood and going to use Anubis plants (think spelling is right Lol) Cheers, thanks for the replies

I have had most substrates, sand is great however if you have larger fish a whip of the tail and they throw it around the tank a bit. I have had lots of it end up in my fx5 and 6.

If that wont be a problem as others have said put a fine layer (less than 5mm) of substrate and if you don't like it take it out or add more. I used to have a small layer and the fish would push it around exposing the bottom in parts anyway, which I felt looked worse anyway.

It depends on what you prefer, my tank bottom is painted black and looks just fine. As far as beneficial bacteria yes there is less surface area but it wont make a difference if you have a decent filter and a few bits of driftwood.