Tristan

Hydra 50 actually works!

Hydra internals are awesome and actually work!!!

I have been using my hydra 50 for a solid month now and can see a definite decrease in nitrates. As always i was sceptical about the 'next big thing in nitrate control' but after hearing some good reviews about this filter i thought i would test it out myself. It works by converting ammonia (created by fish waste) straight into nitrogenous gas which is removed from the water column. Essentially it completes the whole nitrogen cycle (ammonia > nitrite > nitrate > nitrogen) in just one step. This should be used in conjunction with biological filtration in my opinion... Rather then converting 100% of all ammonia, it helps to convert some of the ammonia resulting in reduced nitrates that are converted from the biological filter.

I used to do 50% weekly water changes but i have now reduced that to 30% and i think potentially i could even reduce that to fortnightly.

i don't check my water now, but can say it did improved the clarity and requires me lesser water changes. I have stream2 and stream3 running inline my pro3 filters.

Do you run them off seperate pumps at the desired speed or just use your regular sump/ cannister pump? ... The required flow through the streams were way lower then my sump pump and i couldnt be bothered plumbing a dedicated pump just for it... So i went with the internals

I don't have a sump and my tank is running on pro3s. the streams are connected to the output pipe. I have notice a significant reduction of flow on the pro3 i have the stream3 on. I have raised this concern though arofanatics sites and it seems its expected as the stream3 is longer in casing. I don't encounter the reduction of flow though on the stream2.

I personally would recommend the hydras as addition or improvement in standard filter equipment. I was a little skeptical when i bought them, but have no regrets owning them.