jcumpstay

Grow out tank size?

Next part of my fish room build is some fry grow-out tanks mostly for Tropheus.

What size do people recommend here? 2x1x1???

Prob gonna keep filtration simple and use sponges with regular water changes.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

As big as possible ideally.

Start small for new day old frys that need to be constantly feed to make sure its easy to feed & they can get it.

then 2x1x1 till they can take 1mm pellet, then out in to the pond! (or larger tank)

Personally I don't think its right raising fish to 4cm in a 2x1x1 obviously breed & quantity come into this, BUT I have personally seen people do it & raise awesome quality fish but they are all over maintenance.

I currently have bulk fry in 2 2x1x1 tanks and they are going great guns, water change every second day but...

As big as possible ideally.

Start small for new day old frys that need to be constantly feed to make sure its easy to feed & they can get it.

then 2x1x1 till they can take 1mm pellet, then out in to the pond! (or larger tank)

Personally I don't think its right raising fish to 4cm in a 2x1x1 obviously breed & quantity come into this, BUT I have personally seen people do it & raise awesome quality fish but they are all over maintenance.

I currently have bulk fry in 2 2x1x1 tanks and they are going great guns, water change every second day but...

Irrespective of the size, I'm gonna automate the water changes as I have on my bigger colony tanks. It's looking like I could fit six 2x1x1's quite nicely in the room I have remaining in the fish room. Pretty sure I can get Tropheus to 3-4cm in this size tank ;-)

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

I raise Malawi peacock's in a 18" cube all the way up to 5cm. I place them in a fry saver for the first week or two of life, to keep them close to the food. I do daily water changes as a habit and I vary the % depending on the quantity of food pumped in.

The best growout tanks I've seen are 8x2x1.

The best I've used is a 14ft round, 1 metre deep pond that's was 10 000 litres but monthly 3000 litre waterchanges get annoying fairly quickly lol.

I would take them from 1ft cubes to 2x1x1 and once they are 2cm would throw them in the pond in spring or summer or 4x18x15 in winter.

For growout the footprint is more important than depth.

Cheers mick