chameleon62

how much salt is ok for Africans tank

It can be hard to find info on this...but when I went looking the consensus seemed to be 1 tablespoon per 20L. (use a real measuring spoon - as the ones we eat from are bigger)

In my 280L mbuna tank I use 10 tablespoons. Because my tank is full of rocks and I need to allow for how much water they displace. If my fish are injured or scraped up from fighting then I might use 11-12.

I use non-iodised sea salt (rock salt) blue packet from woolworths. I just mix it in a jug with water from tank until dissolved and then add it slowly - not all at once...

When I do my water change each week I adjust the amount according to how much water I remove. So if I do a 50% water change I only add 5 tablespoons.

I have been doing this now for more than 6 months without any probs...in fact I have found that any scrapes/wounds or ripped tails on my fish seem to heal faster and they seem to like it.

Edited by ORANGEMELLY

Are you taking evaporation into account when adding salt at waterchange?

If not you will slowly turn the water more salty.

I prefer to use rift lake salts as it's a more complete make up of the water conditions they thrive in and there are different types for Malawi and tanginikan fish.

Cheers mick

Are you taking evaporation into account when adding salt at waterchange?

If not you will slowly turn the water more salty.

I prefer to use rift lake salts as it's a more complete make up of the water conditions they thrive in and there are different types for Malawi and tanginikan fish.

Cheers mick

I dont really get that much evaporation...my tanks have lids and I do water changes each week...so there is negligible drop in water level....I would like to use the proper african rift salts too..but I think this is the cheaper option for me....we use it in our cooking too....at least while I am studying..later when I am working again then I will try the good stuff.