Maybe researching fish before buying them would stop your disappointment and you wouldn't be so annoyed by a shop that has done nothing wrong.

Guppies are grown up in massive numbers by wholesalers or their suppliers and they aren't separated into sexes until they are big enough to go for sale but guppies can breed before they are 4cm and the females store sperm so they can drop babies 3-4 months after they have been separated.

I would never complain about free fish.

What if the shop in question made a post claiming you stole fish because they were pregnant when you bought them.

Cheers mick

Here is a bit of more info for you about guppys which might help you enjoy them a bit more.

Breeding Guppies

..I deliberately try to purchase mbuna when they are holding - free fish - congrats...you got 3 free fish.

I remember doing that too, going shop to shop to find fish holding. Some would make it others would swallow them from stress of being singled out and bagged. I had fun and enjoyed doing the rounds. Fond memories.

Maybe researching fish before buying them would stop your disappointment and you wouldn't be so annoyed by a shop that has done nothing wrong.

WOW over reaction much?

i dont see anywhere in my post i say i was upset with having some new free family members

ok yes the title could be an over step

The commercial fish farms separate their guppies by sex at several weeks of age. They use a wooden sorting table, with a hole in opposite corners, an occasional laddle of water and the reflection of light off abdomen to reliably sort males from females at less than a centimeter size. I've seen multiple rows of farm workers working long hours each and every day. I've also seen entire vats of guppies destroyed if a male manages to hop over into a female vat and contamination occurs. This is the only way to keep line bred pedigree's pure and why some guppy prices will be over a thousand dollars per pair.

That aside, sexing guppies is super easy once about 2 months old. Females have an anal fin, and in males it transforms into a spike called a gonopodium.

If only it was the same with discus and oscars!

ok going by that

black one = girl = now dead

yellow one = girl and chasing the baby's

orange and blacky/silver = girl and being annoyed by the blue one

blue one = *BUZZER GOING OFF* boy and chasing the big orange girl around the tank for the last day or so

well its 2 weeks and i now have over 25 baby's(fri?) maby even 30 in my tank from 3 females (one died giving birth)

i am cycling a new tank as fast as i can to get the male out of there LOL

i then have the problem of sexing all of the fri before they start at it and my eye sight isnt really that good so this could be a bit of a struggle

Edited by Adverse Effects

If you want a all male display tank put the temp up to 28 and most will be born male, a bit late for the fry you have but it could help in the future.

The easiest way to tell the sex if them young will be the gravid spot on the back of the belly.

Unfortunately that will mean they are already pregnant.

I solved my guppy breeding problem with some rainbows, i only have two left now.

Cheers mick