kehw

Worx Planted LED turning my anubias yellow

I have a 4x15x18 with a worx planted led on it. Just have anubias and val in the tank. I think the light might be too much. Even though one of the plants is flowering. I currently dont dose with anything. As everytime i have dosed I have had algae problems.

post-11670-14711634064334_thumb.jpg

Some opinions would be helpful.

post-11670-1471163406391_thumb.jpg

post-11670-14711634064134_thumb.jpg

I would suggest shortening your lighting period and 1/4 dose of a basic fertilizer ( I would use Aquasonic basic grow but any good quality one would do )

Anubias do not require a lot of light at all and the works lights are pretty bright - that is why the shortening of the lighting period ,

The other suggestion is some water sprite floating in the top of the tank shading the anubia . The Water sprite will also use up excess nutrients from the water column .or you could plant some Wisteria (Hygrophila Difformis ) to do this

The works lights are very blue and if the nutrients are not well balanced will grow red algae .

The Lights are on 6pm-11:30pm

Also like i said i havent dosed anything cause when i do i get an algae bloom. I might see if i can get some frogbit seems we can have it.

[MENTION=5455]Donny[/MENTION]

I Have about 2L of matrix in my canister would contribute to the lack of nitrates

If nutrients are in balance then plants will grow and algae wont. Get excess of some and deficiency of others and algae will grow. Algaes dont require all the nutrients that higher plants do.

Note that they are old leaves going yellow?

It could be calcium or magnesium deficiency. Whatever really. Some good water changes combined with a filter clean and then topped off with dosing an all in one liquid fert should get you good results.

The black algae is likely being helped along by high phosphates. Waterchange and some "liquid co2" should set that right.

The addition of some fast growing plants to shade and soak excess nutrients is a good suggestion too, especially if time between water changes is extended and theres no testing.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

If nutrients are in balance then plants will grow and algae wont. Get excess of some and deficiency of others and algae will grow. Algaes dont require all the nutrients that higher plants do.

Note that they are old leaves going yellow?

It could be calcium or magnesium deficiency. Whatever really. Some good water changes combined with a filter clean and then topped off with dosing an all in one liquid fert should get you good results.

The black algae is likely being helped along by high phosphates. Waterchange and some "liquid co2" should set that right.

The addition of some fast growing plants to shade and soak excess nutrients is a good suggestion too, especially if time between water changes is extended and theres no testing.

I do weekly 30% water changes. Should i try dosing flourish or would you suggest something else? Im not a fan of water wisteria any other plants? I have val and small swords in there as well.

Also yes is the old leaves

Edited by kehw

A couple of larger water changes in a row would do the trick to dilute anything thats too high. Consider gravel vac of areas that dont have rooted plants in them.

Flourish is a good choice. I am a profito user myself and yea ponytail uses basic grow. Just want something with a good mix.

Other fast plants are foxtail, elodea and duckweed.