cblaxall

Nitrite in aged water

I have always changed water using the syphon then hosepipe method, but I have realised that it loses me a lot of time, I would only put a small amount in with the hose then wait until the temp rises, then a bit more etc.

As per suggestions from a couple of members I have picked up a few 200l containers and decided to have a go at ageing it myself, getting ph, temp etc how I want it. Also speeding me up as I have a spare sump pump that I can use to pump it out.

I filled up the containers on Saturday and added continuum fraction and peat. I thought I'd do some 20% water changes today and thought I'd better check the water before using it. It has 1ppm nitrite via the api test kit!

is this a normal thing? Do I just have to wait longer? (Surely then though I'd be pumping water with nitrate in, thus defeating the purpose of the water changes!)

Will the filters in my tank soak up the nitrite quick enough?

The water out of the tap is definitely nitrite free as I have checked on numerous occasions.

Sorry for the maniacal way the type, however I type things as I think them, at a million miles of an hour similar to someone with adhd at a funfair, on caffeine!

Thabks in advance.

Edited by cblaxall

Bad batch of water. Either add a mature filter to it to convert nitrite to nitrate.... or ditch it.

Once many moons ago I had the pleasure of trying to keep a lfs of fish alive with rous water that was testing 3ppm nitrite out of the tap. Apparently it was bacterial contamination of pipelines or some factory dumping waste into them.

I resorted to storing water and then chlorinating it...

Then dechlorinating it again. I also built a large zeolite filter to remove ammonia. Was a nightmare and I was very happy the day i tested the water and it was safe again.

Bad batch of water. Either add a mature filter to it to convert nitrite to nitrate.... or ditch it.

Once many moons ago I had the pleasure of trying to keep a lfs of fish alive with rous water that was testing 3ppm nitrite out of the tap. Apparently it was bacterial contamination of pipelines or some factory dumping waste into them.

I resorted to storing water and then chlorinating it...

Then dechlorinating it again. I also built a large zeolite filter to remove ammonia. Was a nightmare and I was very happy the day i tested the water and it was safe again.

They do say there's something in the water here in Logan! I might just stick a mature filter in it to convert it then see how I go

on the next batch. Really wouldn't have thought that water could come out of the tap could have nitrites.

[MENTION=14753]cblaxall[/MENTION]p!sswater Have you tried ringing Logan Council and asking them to give you a rundown on what is going into our water?

Don't quote me but I think this has been done previously by a member and he was given answers.

Test kit is fine (I checked it against one I bought a month ago that is brand new (I only really burn through the nitrate tests)

I think I would be better spending my time banging my head against a wall before calling up Logan council!

Think I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. If I end up with water with anything over 10ppm nitrates I'll dump it and refill taking a lot of notes on how it comes out of the tap (my best bet is wet at this stage :beer:)

On the plus side I've managed to buy an RO filter that does 1:1. Pick it up tomorrow so that should solve my GH issues at least :)