Slipshodman

Planaria in my shrimp tank - Dangerous ????

Hi Guys,

after some help here please,

So i did a bit if a clean up in my shrimp tank as the Java moss had been going crazy and so i pulled a few bits from off the gravel and sat it over my sponge filter. (i was trying to get a couple of decent shots to post here and wanted to look its best)

At look what i found, some of these little **** (swearing omitted) This is a pic from google as i don't have a camera that would get a good pic of these things, but they are a perfect match to what i saw.

post-15484-14711634087698_thumb.jpg

Anyway , so thanks to google i am now totally confused if this is a big problem or not and how to treat if i need to

I haven't seen any Hydra , just these guys....

After some looking around here and with google i get mixed comments on if these are dangerous to my shrimp or not, once site suggests that these have a coating on there skin (for want of a better term) that is toxic to shrimp.

Other suggest to use wormer on the tank but no good info on what sort and how much. I noticed some big ones about 1.5 to 2 cm in length and then after a bit of study noticed many smaller ones as well.

I also have seen a little test tube type set up that traps them as from what i have read these guys are carnivorous

From what i understand it is due to overfeeding, i only feed the shrimp once a week and let them live of bio-film the rest of the time. Also cleaning the gravel, i am not real sure how to accomplish that with so many little shrimp in there, i imagine it would be a massacre...

I think i have lost some of the adult shrimp but there is still a lot of activity with probably 70 + of the babies swimming around and doing there thing.

I also have pond snails in there that decided to come with the Java moss when i first got it but didn't think that that would be a problem,

Last but not least i had an apple snail in there but also noticed that he didn't move last night and might be RIP, some of my research is that the apple snail should have eaten the planaria,

So questions are

- Are these guys dangerous ?

- Best way to treat if they are without affecting the shrimp ?

Wormer ?

test Tube trap ?

are they really carnivorous and/or toxic to shrimp ?

- If i need to clean the gravel, suggestions on how (i know that sounds like a stupid question) but without massacring a heap of shrimplets

- Are pond snails bad for the tank

The tank is a 1 ft cube , been up and running for a few months and this is the first time i have seen them.

Your help is appreciated

Tank shot below

aajcar.jpg

Added this link which was an interesting read but didn't really clear things up for me

Aquarium Planaria; Wiggly Detritus Worms, in Tank Water, on Glass

Edited by Slipshodman

Whereabouts are you? I have no planaria if you're near. And yeah, I've never seen any ill effects from them..have seen them eating a dead shrimp but doubt they were doing anything but scavenging.

Down in Sydney mate, thanks for the offer but a bit far to go

The tech den has Planaira Zero , Is it the Same stuff ?

Search for products

And would the Planaira trap work or would it just trap my shrimp ?

Cheers

Hi Guys,

after some help here please,

So i did a bit if a clean up in my shrimp tank as the Java moss had been going crazy and so i pulled a few bits from off the gravel and sat it over my sponge filter. (i was trying to get a couple of decent shots to post here and wanted to look its best)

At look what i found, some of these little **** (swearing omitted) This is a pic from google as i don't have a camera that would get a good pic of these things, but they are a perfect match to what i saw.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66783[/ATTACH]

Anyway , so thanks to google i am now totally confused if this is a big problem or not and how to treat if i need to

I haven't seen any Hydra , just these guys....

After some looking around here and with google i get mixed comments on if these are dangerous to my shrimp or not, once site suggests that these have a coating on there skin (for want of a better term) that is toxic to shrimp.

Other suggest to use wormer on the tank but no good info on what sort and how much. I noticed some big ones about 1.5 to 2 cm in length and then after a bit of study noticed many smaller ones as well.

I also have seen a little test tube type set up that traps them as from what i have read these guys are carnivorous

From what i understand it is due to overfeeding, i only feed the shrimp once a week and let them live of bio-film the rest of the time. Also cleaning the gravel, i am not real sure how to accomplish that with so many little shrimp in there, i imagine it would be a massacre...

I think i have lost some of the adult shrimp but there is still a lot of activity with probably 70 + of the babies swimming around and doing there thing.

I also have pond snails in there that decided to come with the Java moss when i first got it but didn't think that that would be a problem,

Last but not least i had an apple snail in there but also noticed that he didn't move last night and might be RIP, some of my research is that the apple snail should have eaten the planaria,

So questions are

- Are these guys dangerous ?

- Best way to treat if they are without affecting the shrimp ?

Wormer ?

test Tube trap ?

are they really carnivorous and/or toxic to shrimp ?

- If i need to clean the gravel, suggestions on how (i know that sounds like a stupid question) but without massacring a heap of shrimplets

- Are pond snails bad for the tank

The tank is a 1 ft cube , been up and running for a few months and this is the first time i have seen them.

Your help is appreciated

Tank shot below

aajcar.jpg

Added this link which was an interesting read but didn't really clear things up for me

Aquarium Planaria; Wiggly Detritus Worms, in Tank Water, on Glass

Mate if you want a 100% shrimp product to get rid of them then get a product called internal parasite clear

Internal Parasite Clear 50g | Aquarium Online Store

There have been some cases of no planaria causing shrimp deaths although not frequent it does occur

Hi Guys,

thought i would give you an update (although quite belated)

My tank had got a bit out of hand with over growth of the Riccia and Java Moss adn at one point juts before dosing i thought i had lost all the Red Cherries that were in there.

But i didn't let that stop me trying to regenerate the tank to what it was.

So first thing first was to kill the little buggas off

So i used the planaria Zero i got from the Tech Den

After a week of dosing as required and a big clean of the tank afterwards i am positive that the product has worked well

I have not seen any of these little buggas for the last few weeks.

And low and behold it i still have some red cherries in the tank,maybe a dozen or so, not as many as a couple of months ago but enough small ones that they can start a new generation or two to thrive in the tank

It seems all the larger ones have dissapeared during the process or the led up to and the ones left at the biggest are only a centimeter long or so

But that's a better result than i thought it might end up.

Thanks for your help and advice

Cheers