drewcastle

New to cichlids??

Hey all, I've recently gotten rid of my smaller natives and have purchased an albino Oscar for something new.

im new to the larger fish and their mess so was wondering what the best filter media is for my canister to cope with the Oscar. Tank is a 4x2 and has a 1800lph canister filter.

dont mind spending good money on media so open to all suggestions.

thanks in advance, drew

I am new to oscars as well...but from what I been told/learnt the size of your filter should be fine...I use a mix of media in my canister..including foams of differing densities, ceramic noodles, bioballs and I also use filter floss (which is like the stuff from inside pillows). I also run a hang on back filter as It is good at picking up some of the finer particles...and that way I also figure that with 2 filters if either one breaks down for some reason then the tank will not be without any filtration... However, the best filter is regular water changes and a good gravel vac ...and dont overfeed..oscars can be guts ...mine is always begging for food...I have had to learn to say no to his cute little face...

Nothing wrong with natives at all grubby, I'll always be a native man at heart, I've just kept them for years and thought it was time for a change and a burst of colour. Just got a juvie red lutino Oscar I'm hopping to grow in to a big chunky fella :)

Never kept Oscars, never wanted to. I grew out of keeping big bruiser cichlids when I was 14 when I got rid of my Red Devil. Ugly thing with a bad attitude, never want to keep anything like that again. I used to have a Pink Tailed trigger fish he was cool, aggressive but very intelligent. He once bit through the stem of a hydrometer that was floating in his tank. Small schooling fish for me now.