Jump to content
rontyron

salmonella in aquariums

Recommended Posts

Hey guys just thought id put a post up either to remind people of the dangers of salmonella in our aquariums or inform people who didnt know. Just got my 8 month old son home after three days in hospital for salmonella poisoning with my aquarium as the suspected cause.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

atds again ' you'd think some of the old fishkeepers on here would have a bit of resistance to atd's I. know iv'e sucked my share of rotten bristlenose through the pipe but still am in the habit of washing my hands after

hope your little bloke is ok

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys just thought id put a post up either to remind people of the dangers of salmonella in our aquariums or inform people who didnt know. Just got my 8 month old son home after three days in hospital for salmonella poisoning with my aquarium as the suspected cause.

Great PSA mate will always keep little ones away from the tank water.

That sucks mate sorry to hear that :( Hopefully it never happens again.

I wander if this is something that one would only be vulnerable to if they still have a developing immune system.

I have swallowed litres of aquarium water over the years and never had any issues what so ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm taking microbiology as part of my degree at uni and there are certainly nasty microbials lurking in plain tap/tank or pond water. Needless to say, I now...

-thoroughly wash hands with handwash even if it's just dipping my fingers in the water to hand feed

-never put my hands in if I've got a cut

-use alcohol wipes on regularly used equipment

-as I've got some spare chlorhexidine lying around after wisdom teeth extraction, use it as a mouth wash if I ever need to manually siphon

-safety glasses & gloves is another precaution when I handle/frag corals.

For anyone wanting to kill some time, here's a few other microbes that I can think of that aquarists may often encounter. Google image search:

-aquarium mycobacterium (nasty)

-pseudomonas eye (potentially blinding)

-coral palyotxin (potentially fatal)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great PSA mate will always keep little ones away from the tank water.

That sucks mate sorry to hear that :( Hopefully it never happens again.

I wander if this is something that one would only be vulnerable to if they still have a developing immune system.

I have swallowed litres of aquarium water over the years and never had any issues what so ever.

It probably will affect some people and not others because we all have different immune tolerances.

I have had a few mouthfuls over the years without ill effect.

Having said that it doesn't mean we should be blasé about it.

[MENTION=4560]rontyron[/MENTION] I hope the young fella pulls through ok.

Edited by mbunamad
forgot something
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the concern guys bubs is past the worst of it. Lost his gut lining so will be lactose intolerant for a few weeks and off solid food. Atd's is something ive read about but never really been concerned about. Ive keep fish most of my life with no problems and being a dairy farmer my fish tanks weren't on my list of danger zones for the kids. Just thought id put the post up to let people know that atd's do happen so be careful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...