jonnoob

co2 solenoid advice

Hi all, running a 500g ista co2 kit and everyday im manually turning it on and off and tuning it (probably not to the exact same rate each day to be honest). Wondering whats the best option money wise to setup a solenoid on a timer with the lights (they seem to be expensive though) or have some sort of straight up on/off valve i can switch so i dont have to sit there for 10 minutes and tune it each morning?

If you have an Ista co2 cylinder - good luck getting it filled -

That said an inline solenoid is available Age of aquariums sell at least one - "Dupla Magnetic Valve " it is not cheap and I buy complete regulators with solenoid from brewing shops for less ( some assembly required - not for every one ) but Dupla is a premium brand .

hop on AOA's website for the price .

The dupla gear is good and clunky and German. They didnt try to skimp on metal thats for sure. An automated co2 system is a beautiful thing.

I agree. Lights all on timers, plants pearling - a sigh of contentment and rush off to get pics.

Then the darn co2 bottle runs out or something lol.

@jonnoob

ISTA CO2 Cylinders do not comply with Australian standards , they do not have a valid Australian test stamp . Many places will not fill them , I was unable to find one that would !

Your best bet for a cylinder is to get one from a brewing shop that fills cylinders . Preferably the one that you are going to get your cylinder filled at . I have a thread on this forum about the problems I had last year with all of the mucking around trying to get cylinders filled and tracking down ones (3of) that I could get refilled .

I am currently using 2 from "my keg with legs" and 1 from "Mangrove Jack" - do not buy the mangrove jack one although they are easy to get filled they are steel and rust very easily.

I found out the hard ( and expensive ) way .