577ftg

Cycling....any advice

Have got the 8 footer in position and full. Running a small pre filter (so I don't have to get underneath every second day to clean sponges) and a 3 foot sump with 2500 lph pump and 300w heater. I have been putting small amounts of food in everyday (to bring the Ammonia up). Any suggestions on how long to cycle before introducing fish? Going to run Africans eventually.

you dont need to put food in the tank..no fish yet,!! not every day.makes a mess before u start ..leave it alone..it will do its thing,,,wait 7 days n whack some cheap bristlenoses in there...

...see how they go....then start...thats wot i do with new setups..

Putting food in the tank is a doable but messy method.

The pee method can be dangerous, I try to keep important bits away from glass and intakes.

The sacrificial fish method can be harmful or fatal to your fish.

There are products you can buy to kickstart your cycle and also products that will keep your fish alive while it does cycle, but patience will save your wallet, and give you some time to really think about your stock list and do some research.

I would go with the food method, cleaning your tank comes with the hobby I'm afraid, so you may as well get some practice before stocking.

Adding food has the advantage of growing microbes that rot waste (sludge busters) as well as ammonia and nitrite eaters. Its also good to fine tune your mech filtration and water currents.

The aim is to produce robust dense microbe biofilms. That way we can add a few fish with confidence.

I usually delay a week between adding small batches of fish after initial cycle. Give microbes a chance to adjust populations in response to increased waste levels.

Seachem. Stability

Get some of this. if you are going Africans, have a good long hard think about what type you are going to keep. i really regret just buying everything i think looks nice and smashing them in the one tank. although mine do look good and i look after them i really do wish id taken a more purist approach. have a look around at compatible species if you go mbuna you will have fights, lots of fights and need alot of holes and space (with 8ft you will be ok)