Moist

No luck with Otocinclus

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster :)

I'd like to get some advice as I am having trouble keeping Otocinclus alive in two planted tanks. Have used master test kit and everything is fine there, and the tanks are reasonably well planted so plenty of food. The ones I still have are happily munching in the tank next to me as I type this.

From the research I've done, it seems these fish are wild caught and shipped over? Many many reports of similar early deaths on the US forums but I thought it may be different here. Apparently these fish are extremely sensitive and it takes a bit of luck to keep them for long.

I'd originally decided on Oto's due to their small size being in 50L tanks and being peaceful as I keep Cherry shrimp in there too. They certainly aren't cheap at $14-$16 a pop and I don't want to keep losing them.

Can anyone suggest another suitable assistant glass cleaner please? Have looked at Siamese Algae Eaters (Flying Fox??) but they get too big.

Thanks in advance!

Attached a quick few snaps of one of my low tech tanks :)

post-15947-14711634101866_thumb.jpg

Yeah mate, with Otto's if you can keep them alive past the first few weeks then they'll be alright, you could a Bristle nose in the tank.

Won't BN's get quite large? Only small tanks. Is there a pygmy/dwarf species I should look into?

Nice tanks!

I still feed ottos at least daily to keep them robust. Skinny otto are weak otto.

Cheers Donny! I do have blanched zucchini but they never seem interested and the shrimp swarm it immediately haha... any tips?

Thanks for the replies

For a small tank you are limited for algae eaters True SAE are great as they eat the black brush algae. But pretty useless at the rest. The other small algae eater is the Borneo suckers but they can be sensitive too. Otto are better in a group I believe.

50L is not small so you could go the whiptails. I just like whiptails. Contact [MENTION=3782]pandapete[/MENTION] for some quality royal whippies. Contact [MENTION=14086]Lofties[/MENTION] for some Borneo sucker types - albino type you will not find in the shops.

For a small tank you are limited for algae eaters True SAE are great as they eat the black brush algae. But pretty useless at the rest. The other small algae eater is the Borneo suckers but they can be sensitive too. Otto are better in a group I believe.

50L is not small so you could go the whiptails. I just like whiptails. Contact [MENTION=3782]pandapete[/MENTION] for some quality royal whippies. Contact [MENTION=14086]Lofties[/MENTION] for some Borneo sucker types - albino type you will not find in the shops.

No real tips.... mine seem to enjoy the nls. Basically just try a few sinkers until you find a pellet they like. Dont need much but yea really want a little each day.

Also worth noting ottos dont live forever like most cats.

Cheers for that! I have put a Hikari algae wafer in with them tonight to see if they get interested. The shrimp are covering it atm though!

Thanks for the advice :) I have seen Borneo's in my lfs and they do look interesting. I think the whippies will get too long, although I'd love to have a couple of those. Had never heard of them before!

How many Otto's do have in your tank, and yes you could keep a Bn in the tanks till they get to adult size, then do a swap for a juvenile and start the cycle all over again.

I had 2 in my 55L cube and 2 in my 50L long. Lost 3 in total and bought 2 more and popped them all together in one tank. I understand they like to be in groups of 6 or more but there was no way there would be enough food/space for that many in these little tanks... Hopefully the 3 I have left will thrive. They seem happy enough atm following each other around and cleaning glass/plants :)

How long do you think it would take a BN to reach a size to need to move him on?

With bn's it's one of those things only you can decide when it's time to move it on and get another one, do you have any wood in the tanks? if not don't get a bn they need to rasp on it as part of their diet.

You might have to get another few Otto's and hope for the best, that's about all I can think of.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Having three together seems to have helped immensely as they are now sharing an algae wafer with the shrimp overnight and looking fat and happy :)

Althoughmy glass isn't very clean now... hahaha

Cheers!