So who's managed to get some large Hap hybrids????

It seems a Male Eyebiter has done the deed with a Female Spilorhychus in my tank after culling back the boys in the Spilorhychus group.

I think I went too far cutting back the boy Spilorhychus and have nothing but girls left because it doesn't appear to be any males in the group...but there's definitely a male Eyebiter cruising around and he's the only one I can think of who's planted the seeds :eyebrows: !

So what's your thoughts guys??

Ha ha we have entered the tank of Dr Moreau or Frankenstein or some other mad dude :noidea:

Can't help but wonder what this fish would look like obviously not too far removed from each other but the head of an Eyebiter on the body of a Spilorhychus would be interesting.

Then there's the whole "in the wrong hands" argument which I also fully agree with(last thing I want to see is mixed fish genetics entering the hobby)...maybe it would be interesting to see how they go and if interesting as a nice big display fish let go of one at a time (but doesn't stop them breeding with others :noidea:) or maybe just cull instantly and avoid dancing with the devil(under the pale moonlight! :dance:)

What do you reckon fellow fishkeepers ??? :noidea:

Edited by goldenswimmers

Man i know you produce quality fish & care about keeping rare fish viable in AUS, so i don't understand why you would entertain keeping these let alone SELLING them.

2 options I see, Strip & destroy. OR as I do if I want to investigate something, grow to 2 inches in separate tank, 2 inches you can see what they are going to be, white crane to see colour, take a picture then destroy every last one of them. I use my personal fish disposal units…..chickens, then these fish aren't going to waste them come back to me in delicious eggies :) something good outa something bad.

Sorry if I sound like harsh asshole, but this is the exact territory where the hobby gets into trouble. Just one of those fish passed on through a few hands & forgotten what they actually are then into uneducated hands for arguments sake & this is where a lot of our Sp. in Australia have ended up in trouble. I cannot see it ever being worth it, there are too many beautiful naturally occurring fish & you have 2 PRIME examples right here matey….

Yep, you could slip on some soap and die in the shower and then it would be a tragedy when these hybrids make their way into the hobby!

....We would probably be slightly sad for you too after we stopped laughing. :drum:

Ummmm ... What are you saying about soap and a shower? Don't drop it and b... o...?

I dont have a problem with hybrids as long as they are not being sold. If the breeder keeps them for himself there should not be a problem. My yellow lab had 4 mutts the other day. 1 was eaten and so we now have 3. 2 are yellow and one is black/dark. I allow my mbuna to spit in display tank I dont strip. (only for the right people..)if any fry survive they will just remain in tank..in the wild less than 10% survive...in a tank it is probably even less.

Man i know you produce quality fish & care about keeping rare fish viable in AUS, so i don't understand why you would entertain keeping these let alone SELLING them.

2 options I see, Strip & destroy. OR as I do if I want to investigate something, grow to 2 inches in separate tank, 2 inches you can see what they are going to be, white crane to see colour, take a picture then destroy every last one of them. I use my personal fish disposal units…..chickens, then these fish aren't going to waste them come back to me in delicious eggies :) something good outa something bad.

Sorry if I sound like harsh asshole, but this is the exact territory where the hobby gets into trouble. Just one of those fish passed on through a few hands & forgotten what they actually are then into uneducated hands for arguments sake & this is where a lot of our Sp. in Australia have ended up in trouble. I cannot see it ever being worth it, there are too many beautiful naturally occurring fish & you have 2 PRIME examples right here matey….

Yeah it was purely for the curious part of my mind as I have never seen an example of an eyebiter crossed with another large hap and never had the intention of selling them...more pass on individuals to fishkeepers Id trust for a unique display fish but you are right Craig as I wouldn't know where they would go from there and this is where the trouble starts....

I believe in breeding pure fish but hybrids also occur naturally(just don't generally go past 1 generation id imagine as they would head back towards there genotype Im guessing :noidea:) and trusting in my own judgement I was interested in how a fish with this genetics would turn out...but because I wasn't really keen on raising these hybrids I left them to their devices and because mr eyebiter seemd to enjoy spilos company more than his own kind I have moved on all of them to a fellow big hap lover (Rastinger) who accidently got a mouthful from one girl(she spat in the bucket on the way to her new home)so no longer a possibility to see what this fish would have looked like...believe me I was rather annoyed seeing my male eyebiter harass and kill his own kind while bang bang boogeying with the all the spilos girls I had(6 in total with no damn male...talk about culling the boys back a bit too hard!!..took the gamble on a new boy coming through the ranks but he never came!! :frusty:)...so my purists you can rest easy ha ha but yeah it would have been purely for observation... :pop2: :pop2:

Edited by goldenswimmers

I wouldn't be able to help myself but to grow them out to see how they turn out....

In saying that totally understand that keeping pure lines is very important for the hobby and hybrids on the open market could be very destructive to the pure lines and hobby itself ... just my opinion

The one I take will never see the light of day again

But what happens if and when you tire of the hobby and need to sell all your fish?

Will you remember to cull the hybrids then?

If [heaven forbid} you were to suddenly die and someone else has to sell your fish will they know to cull?

There are heaps of different pure strain fish around, best to stick with them. JMO.

But what happens if and when you tire of the hobby and need to sell all your fish?

Will you remember to cull the hybrids then?

If [heaven forbid} you were to suddenly die and someone else has to sell your fish will they know to cull?

There are heaps of different pure strain fish around, best to stick with them. JMO.

And what's the difference with people with display tanks, female is an elecie blue , male is a what ever, but they go to an lfs and sell the fry as blues, but there still alive and still have a display tank , but know none the better, AND no one's died. But we still have hybrids in the hobby. I'd keep a few goldern, to see how they turn out.

Nearly all Americans and Africans bred these days are hybrids, people that breed them in those large tanks, who can say 100% that those Americans are pure, not really when there are around 20 diff pairs all breeding, or those lovely massive African tanks, that people say no way they are crossed :)

I like Golden,

I like Craigo, can see all sides,

****e happens

And what's the difference with people with display tanks, female is an elecie blue , male is a what ever, but they go to an lfs and sell the fry as blues, but there still alive and still have a display tank , but know none the better, AND no one's died. But we still have hybrids in the hobby. I'd keep a few goldern, to see how they turn out.

Do you mean knowingly selling hybrids or not knowing they are hybrids?

Either way it doesn't make it right.

In the case of [MENTION=15341]Nana man[/MENTION] he knows he is buying a hybrid.

a bit of both [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION], take, for example , the strigatus getting aroung Gladdy atm, I don't know what there mixed with , ( they don't even look like strigs) but some one ( I've got my hints) has taken them in to an lfs and traded them in as strigs, so people are doing it on purpose and well as a plain mistake. ( and know, they aren't mine and don't even think they came from me originally , as I haven't sold any in Gladstone for a very long time.)

[MENTION=15341]Nana man[/MENTION] , he is a pretty good looking zeb.