Troybe88

Breeding block head cichlids (Steatocranus casuarius)

first question is are you 100% sure they are a pair,

yes i believe the older they get the less they breed,

the other thing is they pair for life, so if either had lost a partner before they may not breed again, but in saying that i have been told that they can re pair up with a new partner, so don't quote me 100% on that,

they also need a cave to breed in,

Never had drama with them breeding again after losing a mate. But as to your question.... males get too old but girls tend to produce viable eggs for much longer.

Thats a huge girl lol and the boy needs moar food to condition him.

When in doubt put them in a tank by themselves and load it up with ornaments that would make potential spawn caves. Then its just good food and water changes. They take a while to settle sometimes.

If still at loss might be worth trying some minerals like easylife to simulate a rain event.

Live black worms, earth worms, glass shrimp with a good pellet food

need to condition the female

spawn sites give them a few to choose from caves, catfish log, upside down flower pot

looks a pair but she looks older than him by the sizes they appear

isn't it amazing how common names change. when these first started coming in to the country 30+ yrs ago they were called 'humpheads' and i think 'blockhead' was a **** tracey criminal character lol.

hahaha i still call them hump heads

but yep **** will always get changed into ****

Cool fish, I'm not a huge fan of africans but river fish are different to the normal Malawi cockroaches.

I recently got given 3 fry about 1cm, i am surprised at how quick they are growing, hitting 3cm in a few weeks [MENTION=4423]steveandjules[/MENTION] Do they slow down as they get bigger? If not I will need to move them to a larger sooner.

Cheers mick

Cool fish, I'm not a huge fan of africans but river fish are different to the normal Malawi cockroaches.

I recently got given 3 fry about 1cm, i am surprised at how quick they are growing, hitting 3cm in a few weeks [MENTION=4423]steveandjules[/MENTION] Do they slow down as they get bigger? If not I will need to move them to a larger sooner.

Cheers mick

they normally grow slowly,