rennie_08

Foam under tank

Hi guys I feel like I am way overthinking things with setting up my new 6x2x2 but the 20mm foam that is too go under the tank is around 8mm short of the full width of the tank. Is this going to be an issue? I am thinking that it should be the same width of the tank even a bit more to be safe. Has anyone had this as a problem?

thanks in advance guys

chris

My personal view on this is that while yes it probably would be ok - personally I would not do it with a tank that can weigh 800kg loaded up. On 2 foot tanks of my own I don't mind if there is a few mm under. On anything 36" and larger I always use coolite that covers the entire base. Not essential perhaps but it gives me piece of mind. On large tanks 4 x 18 and above I always have coolite larger than the tank that I can then trim down. If it were my tank personally I'd get a larger sheet of coolite. As other forum members have posted above however many people would not be concerned by it.

It'll be fine. My 8-2-2 is only supported by 50mm around the boarder of the tank.

Whole centre I can see the fish from under the tank.

So 8 mm won't be a problem.

There is a big difference between the outside and the centre though..

Yes I know and I may be in the minority view here - and that's ok. Personally I wouldn't do it but as I mentioned in my post above - many people do and don't worry about it. My point of view is that for the sake of the cheapest part of a tank set-up- having the right size coolite gives exceptional piece of mind. Cheers

Thanks so much for everyone's advice, I would love to get some foam big enough to go under the whole tank but I can only seem to find 1200x600mm sheets and the tank is 608mm wide..... I am going to centre the tank on the foam so it will only be 4mm around the outside. Anyone know any suppliers in Newcastle NSW That sell foam other than Clark rubber?

Cheers

Chris

You say you have a 6' tank and you can only find 4' foam... right? So you're going to have to buy 2 sheets of foam for a start.. you don't need 20mm thick, 10mm will b fine... cut the foam 610 and turn front to back. The foam should be 122cm long( atleast from a decent aquarium shop/builder anyway ) and silicon it to the bottom of the tank and close up any big gaps ect

But its going to be more effort than is really needed, but its ur piece of mind I guess.