Jump to content
ORANGEMELLY

I'm a real fish keeper now....

Recommended Posts

Woke up this morning to a leaking tank....water was actually flowing through my wall and out into the front yard...I had lost around 4 inches...thankfully my brother had come downstairs for a coffee and alerted/woke me..(I had stayed up watching the cricket)....and in south american tank the white spot I have been trying to get rid of is tenaciously holding on.....

A leaking tank and white spot: things that I have been reading about more experienced fish keepers dealing with ...and now it's my turn...guess that makes me a real fish keeper now... funny thing is, I was only discussing my tanks and how I had re-siliconed them ..and how they had not leaked yet, not that long ago on chat on here...and when I emptied the mbuna tank I discovered that the heater had exploded...and the suction cap that held it to glass had melted straight...I am wondering if that caused the leak??...either way..I'd say I probably had a close call...I could have been out when tank started to leak rather than home...my fish or I could have been electrocuted but weren't and my fish could have been cooked by this heater which obviously had a problem....

I almost got killed driving on motorway last night too...lunatic driver speeding cut in front of me and almost slammed into the 4wd in front of me...he hit the brakes and locked them up swerving in front of me forcing me to swerve right..the idiot then spun off the motorway and down embankment...

post-14718-14711634119474_thumb.jpg

Edited by ORANGEMELLY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy crap why didnt it trip the power? Dodgy

Seems like it would've leaked then the heater overheated.

Sorry to hear man how old was tank and heater?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Edited by bazz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was aghast ...if I had not had the tank leak I probably would not have even known that the heater was like that...I checked the temp on all my tanks water the other night with a battery powered probe and it was where it should be and so I had no thoughts about there being something wrong with the heater...and the heater was less than a year old..it is a Aquazonic 300 watt Aquarium Heater (you get what you pay for..)...just in case any one else out there is using them - keep an eye on them... It did not trip the power at all...everything was still going. There is probably a third of the overall glass surface totally missing from this heater...it melted the suction cap and the heater is broken internally - its floppy...this could have been really really bad...

I lost 4-5 inches of water out of my 5ft 75G tank..It was a tank I bought off ebay about a year ago (cheap) and I had removed all the old silicone and re-sealed it....turns out the hole was near where the heater hung in the corner a third of the way up from the bottom...so once the water got below that the leaking stopped..that's why I was wondering if the heater had something to do with the leak..could it have heated up the silicone??? - as it had melted the plastic clip on the suction cuppost-14718-14711634121664_thumb.jpg

..thank fully I have bare (painted) concrete floors.. as some months ago I ripped up all the carpet due to my incessant propensity for slopping water everywhere during water changes (happens no matter how hard I try)...I am just so glad that I was home when it happened..and even more so that my brother came downstairs when he did...

My fish are all good...

I syphoned most of the water from goldfish and silver dollars tank into my 700l (my future severum tank) and moved them into that

...and then did a quick vac on goldfish/silver dollar tank and syphoned as much water as I could from mbuna tank and then topped it up with fresh water...

I then moved mbuna (plus all their filtration) to that tank...also caught 3 mbuna fry (there should have been 4 but one got eaten during this process)...they should be yellow labs...2 are yellow..but the one dark sibling fry among them tells me that something kinky has been going on ..

I am aware that I risk having hybrids due to the number of compatible species I have in the one tank...but I will keep them regardless of what they are...they are only my 2nd lot of fry...and only 1 survived from the first time....and I have no interest in breeding or selling mbuna...so no fear of me trying to ping off hybrids...if they survive as fry in my tank then they will be nurtured like all the rest..hybrid or not...

..Now I need to decide if I want to reseal the tank or not....probably will...keeps me out of mischief...

Edited by ORANGEMELLY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would have been the other way around Mel - leak cause heater to blow not visa verca. When the water level dropped and heater was exposed it overheated - would have started to smoke then would have gone.

Yeah...that was probably it....not had to deal with a tank leak before...I am glad it was a slow leak...it gave me time to think about what I was going to do...

Link to comment
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...