ORANGEMELLY

What size pellets?

Hey everyone...

quick question...what size pellet is suitable for a 5 inch oscar and a 4-5 inch chocolate cichlid..at the moment I am feeding mine hikari cichlid gold medium sized pellet...when should I go up to the larger sized pellet?

....they also love those hikari food sticks..I dont know if they make them in a larger size as well?

Thanks.

I personally prefer a smaller size pellet as predatory fish will instinctively eat as much as possible (all the time) since they dont know how long until their next meal will be. It's far easier to over eat with large pellets than small pellets. And just because they eat doesn't mean the pellets are digested, resulting in uneaten food in fish poo that pollutes your tank.

If fish eat fast, floating pellets can be quite dry and may even create bloating issues for some fish, especially fancy goldfish. Smaller sized pellets being able to hydrate faster. Some fish get very bored if food is easily available. This usually indicates over feeding as well.

I also use automated food feeders sometimes. These struggle with larger pellets.

So I recommend using a small pellet unless you are trying to fatten /grow fish quickly.

I recommend sticking with the smaller pellets until the Oscar is about 10 inches. I've kept numerous oscars over a long time and they tend to create less mess on the small pellets. Only drawback is you will go through the packet faster

Thankfully with the hikari food sticks, although he (I think he is a he..and he recently developed a pimple on his lower chin...puberty?) post-14718-14711634151546_thumb.jpg..mashes them up and spits most of it out the 4 juvenile severums have worked this out and so hang around him while he eats; picking off the smaller pieces for themselves...which is good because the pellets I am feeding the oscar and chocolate are too big for them..and the pellets I have tried with the sevs (NLS) they ignore..seems they too have developed a taste for the hikari food sticks.. Do you think they are okay to use as a staple as my oscar and choc are not that interested in pellets either?..I have been supplementing their diet with duckweed and peas....as well as frozen brine shrimp and blood worms occasionally....they also all get earthworms from my purpose made compost heap...it is used just for growing and feeding worms for the fish.

Edited by ORANGEMELLY