SaltyPlum

Dovii experiences - what to expect

Hi, just joined this forum and would like to hear experienced members with keeping Dovii/Dovii's.

I have always wanted a big bad ass male dovii since I got into this hobby. Yesterday I restocked my 150g tank with 3 dovii's and a red terror. My future plan is to grow them out and only keep the nicest male (fingers crossed I get a nice male out of the 3), I also want to upgrade to a bigger tank and get a top dweller like a saratoga. Not sure what to do with the terror in my future plans but I am hoping he is tough enough to survive with a dovii, if not I will figure out another solution. All fish are the same size around 8-10cm.

Im pretty confident I have at least one male already. The one in the middle of the first photo I believe is a male. At the moment it is the most dominant and has the most colour and spots.

post-16536-14711634129425_thumb.jpg

post-16536-14711634129616_thumb.jpg

My exsperiance is they can seem placid but one day just decide they don't want tank mates anymore and in one night kill everything even plecos. That being said I have had my 40-45cm male with 10 RD for the past 2 years and he has only killed about 2 or 3 in that time. So be prepared for dead fish if keeping any with him, also when at the size you have now can be real Agro and they will most likely destroy the red terror you have now, then start fighting each other, recommend heaps of hides and structure or dividers.

As for the toga, no.

The dovii is a big brute and togas are very flighty and spook easy and do go through lids and kill them selfs on tank bracing.

Tank size for a adult dovii would be at least a 6x2x2.5w

Would love to see progression pics of these beauties as well mate. That festae has a nice amount of blue speckles in his fins, if you have a spare tank you should try grow him out!

Will definitely keep you posted with progression pics. I have always favoured American cichlids the most. I have been waiting years for a lfs to get dovii's in. Meantime I have been trialing diffent breeds together as a community tank. But my main focus now is just having one big water pet and from what I have researched a male dovii ticks all the boxes for me. I have a spare 90g tank and will move the red terror in that tank soon. He seems to be doing fine with the dovii's for now and funny enough the terror and this one particular dovii are always hanging together!

Edited by gingerbeer

Will definitely keep you posted with progression pics. I have always favoured American cichlids the most. I have been waiting years for a lfs to get dovii's in. Meantime I have been trialing diffent breeds together as a community tank. But my main focus now is just having one big water pet and from what I have researched a male dovii ticks all the boxes for me. I have a spare 90g tank and will move the red terror in that tank soon. He seems to be doing fine with the dovii's for now and funny enough the terror and this one particular dovii are always hanging together!

Same here mate, Americans are quite fun to keep. I am hoping to just get a pair of festae with dithers for a display tank but its tricky with a nasty fish. A dovii ticks all those boxes, just look at any youtube video and they look extremely entertaining. Will have to post some videos when he turns into a glass banger. What other americans have you played around with? I think you will be fine with them together for a little longer anyway, festae hold their own pretty well even when smaller.

Same here mate, Americans are quite fun to keep. I am hoping to just get a pair of festae with dithers for a display tank but its tricky with a nasty fish. A dovii ticks all those boxes, just look at any youtube video and they look extremely entertaining. Will have to post some videos when he turns into a glass banger. What other americans have you played around with? I think you will be fine with them together for a little longer anyway, festae hold their own pretty well even when smaller.

Previously I have kept Oscars, red devils, JD's, flowerhorns, big sailfin pleco and I had for years a salmon tail catfish. The salmon tail catfish was a very good tank mate with any fish that I put in with it. At the moment I have a really nice cherry king flowerhorn in a 90g, but I am hoping to sell him soon and make room for the red terror.

This little red terror I have is a survivor! While I was waiting for my lfs to order in these dovii's I just had the red terror and a peacock bass in my tank. The PB was just a little bit bigger than the terror. For weeks the terror harrased the PB, until one day I walked past the tank and noticed the PB had the terror in its mouth. I lent my net to a mate so all I could do was put my hand in the tank, tap the glass ect.. But no luck, all I could do was watch my terror get eaten. After a couple hours had passed the PB struggled to get it down and before I went to bed I notice the PB was laying on the sand with the terrors tail just hanging out its mouth. I thought great not only have you killed my terror but you killed yourself. I called it a night and scooped the PB out with a bowl the next morning. To my surprise when scooping out the PB the terror was not in its mouth, i thought he must have got eaten or what was left had been sucked up by the filter. I went to work that day very pissed off. When I came home the terror was out swimming around lol he had lost a lot of colour and was beat to **** but he was alive! I have attached some photos of how it all went down

post-16536-14711634133385_thumb.jpg

post-16536-1471163413354_thumb.jpg

post-16536-14711634133678_thumb.jpg

Edited by SaltyPlum

@ grubby

Psychotic , serial killer cichlids are why I keep Rainbows too .

With me it was "Tangs" not Americans - a bit smaller but at least as agro if not more .

Go to bed with a dozen happy fish - wake up with one gasping at the surface ----- because he just shredded all of his tankmates and the filter has stopped due to the scales and chunks pulled from his tankmates blocking the intake .

Goodluck with your Dovii mate, my 2 15 cm males are in with 3 Red Devils a toga a 15 cm Freddie 2 oscars and a few other smaller Americans. Guess what ? Everything's fine.just saying that it's always down to the fish it self and how well you treat that particular fish. I Can't wait to see some progression pics...

Oh just a positive comment passing through:focus:

Goodluck with your Dovii mate, my 2 15 cm males are in with 3 Red Devils a toga a 15 cm Freddie 2 oscars and a few other smaller Americans. Guess what ? Everything's fine.just saying that it's always down to the fish it self and how well you treat that particular fish. I Can't wait to see some progression pics...

That sounds like an awesome tank as well! Did you raise them all up from juvies together? Also have heard its around the 20cm mark when dovii can flick the switch but like you said, its all down to the individual fish.

Ive never been described with so many adjectives! No point continuing the derail grubby even if its with some quality name calling and googled pictures :ranger:. If you want to further discuss anything feel free to or we will leave it as it is. Sorry about all this [MENTION=16536]SaltyPlum[/MENTION] really hope the tank goes well and your experience with the dovii is a lot better than a few peoples on here. Very jealous!

All good mate. No need to apologise for other peoples useless advice in their posts either!

Each to thier own with what type of fish people want to keep. I dont keep fish to impress girls or mates, im the one that funds my hobby and keeps the maintenance up on the tanks. So I will keep what I want to keep.

I'd rather keep large fish that are owner responsive and has some personality about it, rather than small boring fish like rainbows!

Plus I know my 7 month old daughter will get more enjoyment looking at big fish that will interact and follow her around the tank. She gets excited when I hold her up and feed my flowerhorn in the 90g tank

Thanks mate.. For those who are interested I will definatley keep posted with progression pics and videos..

Wow!!! Would love to see a video or pics of your tank? Due to the reputation that dovii's hold I would of thought that a saratoga would make a good tank mate with being a big bruiser and top dweller.

Hi, just joined this forum and would like to hear experienced members with keeping Dovii/Dovii's.

I have always wanted a big bad ass male dovii since I got into this hobby. Yesterday I restocked my 150g tank with 3 dovii's and a red terror. My future plan is to grow them out and only keep the nicest male (fingers crossed I get a nice male out of the 3), I also want to upgrade to a bigger tank and get a top dweller like a saratoga. Not sure what to do with the terror in my future plans but I am hoping he is tough enough to survive with a dovii, if not I will figure out another solution. All fish are the same size around 8-10cm.

Im pretty confident I have at least one male already. The one in the middle of the first photo I believe is a male. At the moment it is the most dominant and has the most colour and spots.

The Dovii in the middle you refer to looks like it is going to be a stunning fish when it gets big - looks really good already. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to fish. Personally I have Africans, Americans and natives. Always like looking at other fish though - please update pics as they get bigger. Cheers

That sounds like an awesome tank as well! Did you raise them all up from juvies together? Also have heard its around the 20cm mark when dovii can flick the switch but like you said, its all down to the individual fish.

Yeah, the Dovii and Freddie were brought up together, same with one Oscar and my motoro Ray. The Devils and jags are a lot older everything else is about 12 months

Yeah, the Dovii and Freddie were brought up together, same with one Oscar and my motoro Ray. The Devils and jags are a lot older everything else is about 12 months

Did you have much issue with the devils and jags being introduced to the newer smaller fish? I want to try add my 11cm festae in with my group of 7-9cm freddies and festae but just don't know if I should until I powerfeed the smaller ones for a bit longer.

Exactly right mate! Personality is unmatched with these fish and they are a lot of fun to watch. I know I was obsessed with my dads oscars when I was little. I got so much enjoyment from holding a worm above water and watching the oscars jump to try grab it. Your daughter should be very entertained, especially when they start attacking the glass to try get at you haha

Yeah oscars are what got me hooked on this hobby. I started off with a pair of oscars. They were so owner responsive when I put my hand in the tank they would let me pat them

Did you have much issue with the devils and jags being introduced to the newer smaller fish? I want to try add my 11cm festae in with my group of 7-9cm freddies and festae but just don't know if I should until I powerfeed the smaller ones for a bit longer.

Nope not a single problem, my big male devil was the first to go in then my 20 cm female and then I only just last week put another female devil in and not a thing, I sorta think it's 1 my tanks well stocked and 2 it's a large tank that's gets a 15 percent WC every week

Nope not a single problem, my big male devil was the first to go in then my 20 cm female and then I only just last week put another female devil in and not a thing, I sorta think it's 1 my tanks well stocked and 2 it's a large tank that's gets a 15 percent WC every week

I have heard somewhere along the lines that the more fish you have with keeping a community tank, the more the agression evens out, espeacially with lager Americans. I think having a large tank that is well stocked with fish that can hold their own with weekly water changes play a very important role when keeping an agressive community tank.

My mate has a tank with two 12" peacock bass, 10" male Jag, 10" red tiger oscar, two salefin plecos and 8-10" male synspilum and people say his tank is overstoked and he is crazy to put those kind of fish together, but he hasn't had any dramas and it is a very impressive tank.

I have heard somewhere along the lines that the more fish you have with keeping a community tank, the more the agression evens out, espeacially with lager Americans. I think having a large tank that is well stocked with fish that can hold their own with weekly water changes play a very important role when keeping an agressive community tank.

My mate has a tank with two 12" peacock bass, 10" male Jag, 10" red tiger oscar, two salefin plecos and 8-10" male synspilum and people say his tank is overstoked and he is crazy to put those kind of fish together, but he hasn't had any dramas and it is a very impressive tank.

True, but if you upset an established pecking order, watch out. Any addition of an new fish or removal of the Apex tank member can lead to negative unintended consequences. Ask any LFS about it they know. One of the reasons that the fish in that 8 foot display tank full of Americans has a not for sale sticker on it. Happens even with a tank full of Juvies. Its a real balancing act.

I've seen it with Salvini, those guys are right little *******s when they want to be, miniature Dovii, if you don't believe me take a look at their shape and you will see how similar they are to Dovii. Just smaller and more colourful.

Well I'm sure I'll cop it for this ......I have an 8ft display with over 25 Americans in it and have had no losses granted they are no dovii or festae in there and I picked the more easy going ones but salvini is one of The many species in there. If you want a one fish display a nice dovii will be awesome beautiful fish just look at the one that was for sale on here few weeks back ...sexy specimen

I would like to see one like this.

I somehow don't think this is an Aquarists society meeting......... This boy is probably gonna be pan fried and garnished with Salsa and lime juice somehow.

Edited by grubby

[MENTION=231]gingerbeer[/MENTION] your call on this

You guys whine one minute about the forum and next minute this.. you want to see why post get removed then have a look in the attitude in this thread. New guy come on here for some feedback and instead gets a whole lot of BS