mbunamad

Hot Topic Friday 28-08-15 Has the QLDAF revolution arrived?

I think it has.

There is plenty of activity with new posts and threads.

Many well informed members are posting.

Chat is going well at night time.

What do you reckon?

Viva la [MENTION=231]gingerbeer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6066]webmaster[/MENTION]!

I hope it is all positive feedback.

Yup im actually checking the forum on a regular basis again! Was caused bu off topic convos ending... Has made things about fish again. I know some of those games were fun for certain groups etc but i think the majority are here for the fish :P

The revolution is all about the hobby being for hobbyists....

I am not completely happy. I want more section advisors who are hobbyists. (Wish I had more time to get that to completion).

I am not completely happy, as I am still concerned about how we speak to noobs. We have changed the posting rules to encourage new members to say hello. I want members to take the time to pass on their knowledge. I want New members to be prepared to listen to our experienced members. I do not like when people post an answer to a noob question with a reference to Google. Google probably brought them here to learn from us. While we may have heard questions a number of times, for the new member they are often thankful to be able to get solid dependable advise from all us 1970 members.

I am completely happy that hobbyists are claiming the forum.

I have seen a definite improvement, but I have also seen an improvement in the weather..... warm weather trends my friends.

Attitudes have still been..... but small steps hey? The breeders registry getting actively used will breathe a certain amount of life into this place. And the removal of offal topic from the mainstream gives us less posts to look at, but allows us to read more thoroughly.

So yeah, the revolution is in progress, need to keep fighting though!

The revolution is all about the hobby being for hobbyists....

I am not completely happy. I want more section advisors who are hobbyists. (Wish I had more time to get that to completion).

I am not completely happy, as I am still concerned about how we speak to noobs. We have changed the posting rules to encourage new members to say hello. I want members to take the time to pass on their knowledge. I want New members to be prepared to listen to our experienced members. I do not like when people post an answer to a noob question with a reference to Google. Google probably brought them here to learn from us. While we may have heard questions a number of times, for the new member they are often thankful to be able to get solid dependable advise from all us 1970 members.

I am completely happy that hobbyists are claiming the forum.

That's how I came here...through a google search...and as a noob I have plenty of questions...and I am grateful for the response I have had...Iv'e not experienced anyone being negative or not trying to help...and I play the games because it provides another way for community to build - it was through the game I went onto chat and now I am getting to know the people who have been responding to my questions and encouraging.

Viva La Revolution.... what can i say

Seems that i may have been one of the ones causing some issue to the more purist forum member ..who are the same guys/gals who have helped me out since being a member .. i apologise

i posted a plenty in off topic and didn't realise the disruption to the normal threads that this was causing

@webmaster , @gingerbeer and all staff ... good choice in the changes

Seems that i may have been one of the ones causing some issue to the more purist forum member ..who are the same guys/gals who have helped me out since being a member .. i apologise

i posted a plenty in off topic and didn't realise the disruption to the normal threads that this was causing

Don't apologise, just a couple of opinions hardly unanimous :beer:. And I still think Off Topic has a place for community building. One day I might join if time allows!

@webmaster , @gingerbeer and all staff ... good choice in the changes

Some of us do enjoy the games in off topic. I didn't realize so many people were put off by it.

Are any of the peeps who dislike off topic going to acknowledge that it has SOME GOOD, INTERESTING THREADS??

@Donny@ageofaquariums said:

"Whens this live fish website launch?"

I am fairly sure I know what you are talking about but is it going to be launched through QLDAF?

You also mentioned in a previous post "new sponsor" Do you have any more to add to that?

You do post teasing/cryptic comments at times!!

Some of us do enjoy the games in off topic. I didn't realize so many people were put off by it.

Are any of the peeps who dislike off topic going to acknowledge that it has SOME GOOD, INTERESTING THREADS??

Nobody cares mate. I certainly regret making the effort I did to get some interesting stuff up.

The fwgjam, apps, assumption, space, fossil and whaling threads each took a few hours.

LoL do the revolution thread IN offtopic and see who replies. People couldnt find the place when there was 3 active threads talking about how to. Give it a month and it will have 5 members.

@Donny@ageofaquariums said:

"Whens this live fish website launch?"

I am fairly sure I know what you are talking about but is it going to be launched through QLDAF?

You also mentioned in a previous post "new sponsor" Do you have any more to add to that?

You do post teasing/cryptic comments at times!!

I dont know anymore than you. Just that nobody denies AND talking about seems to rustle jimmies aplenty lol.

If there is a new sponsor coming I bet I know who it is. Don't we already sell live fish on here or are we meant to sell dead ones now ?

Dont you know there is a qldaf fishmonger section? its hidden in off topic...... where we flog off dead fish and tank bread talipia, the last oscar i got smoked up really nice and baked P-bass is to die for...

I personally never realized off topic caused such a stir!, all forums have their random rambling area where other items are discussed. just take a look at GP,

Maybe the big reveal and new sponsor will be the qldaf aquarium and pet store.

The store website started a while ago and I haven't seen any mention of it on here which is strange and bewildering.

Is the qldaf store allowed to mentioned?

Does the store make money for the forum or pay royalties for use of the name and logo?

Have any members purchased anything from the store?

Does anyone know the answers to these questions?

I only ask because I'm nosey lol.

Cheers mick

Maybe the big reveal and new sponsor will be the qldaf aquarium and pet store.

The store website started a while ago and I haven't seen any mention of it on here which is strange and bewildering.

Is the qldaf store allowed to mentioned?

Does the store make money for the forum or pay royalties for use of the name and logo?

Have any members purchased anything from the store?

Does anyone know the answers to these questions?

I only ask because I'm nosey lol.

Cheers mick

Would kinda be a bit of a kick in the bum to the current sponsors you would think?

When is Smiths going to become a sponsor...?

Although they do give people discounts anyway...

Yes it is for real life. I haven't check fit in months, as there wasn't prices & non operational.

It has been sitting for ages (years?) & I gave up checking on it & hassling Russ about it.

MODS, feel free to correct me as I only know what Russ has told me & I have filled in the gaps, but basically it is QLDAF online shop which is owned by Russ, so basically RPC Online (which is awesome) & Nigel did the website for him :)

Like I said its the first time I have checked it & it is running, I gave up months ago, BUT it is a serious shame that this isn't being promoted on here! We ALL miss Russ & RPC being active, peeps need to now about this :)

Apologies if I have missed this being promoted somewhere on here or if my information is incorrect, Im not looking to stir any body up just trying to promote RPC & Russ, he has always helped me out.

Nobody cares mate. I certainly regret making the effort I did to get some interesting stuff up.

The fwgjam, apps, assumption, space, fossil and whaling threads each took a few hours.

Not true. I appreciated many of your off-topic posts and on-posted them to friends and colleagues. One of my favourites is/was These scrap metal insects are awesome beyond belief - WhereCoolThingsHappen

I like that off-topic is not in the new post searches.. but agree it shouldn't require jumping through hoops to access it normally. It plays an imp community building role.

Edited by Grubs

Aquarium Pet & Vet Products Supplies

Its should be promoted!

Haha was trying to find this... Was looking at qldaf/shop not store :P

definately think there should be a main link to this on the banner of the website... Or even have the website set up into two tabs... 1 for forum... 1 for shop.

That way when new people ask for help you can easily link them to a product they may need in the official qldaf store