SaltyPlum

Peoples thoughts on Electric Blue Jack dempsey (EBJD)?

I will give you my experience in EBJD. EBJD are beautiful fish, however, they die very easily for no apparent reason That being said if you get juvies of Good blood stock you might do ok, if inbreed expect them to die in under two years due to bad genetics. Moreover the do not have the aggression of normal JD's so I suggest if you are going to keep them, keep them in a EBJD tank only. The fry of 2x EBJD will most often die due to their dodgey genes and if you want to breed them you have top cross them back with a normal JD that has EBJD genes. Also they stop feeding at the drop of a hat.

I might keep boring old Rainbowfish, but I have kept my fair share of American cichlids in my time, and I can tell you these guys are fussy and a real challenge. Its up to you, but try to get really healthy bloodstock.

Actually I did hear a while ago that EBJD might not be down to a recessive gene but actually that it had been originally crossed with something else. I don't think its true but some of them do have a strange hybrid like face similar to red parrots from time to time. Other than the odd guppy, the EPJD's that I had are probably the only "sport" fish I have ever kept, always prefer the natural version to the freak, i.e Gold Serums, pink convicts etc.

If you keep up your water changes religiously, dont keep them with other cichlids, and dont stress them in any way, you should get a couple of years before they go blind or develop hith or wasting disease or just drop dead. Splits look better anyway imo.

Actually I did hear a while ago that EBJD might not be down to a recessive gene but actually that it had been originally crossed with something else. I don't think its true but some of them do have a strange hybrid like face similar to red parrots from time to time. Other than the odd guppy, the EPJD's that I had are probably the only "sport" fish I have ever kept, always prefer the natural version to the freak, i.e Gold Serums, pink convicts etc.

I think the blue is a natural mutation/phenomenon...Not unlike what the early keepers of domestic carp in china discovered and then purposefully bred for the colours we have today in our goldfish.

I was quite happy with Fatso a very old male Dempsey that was rather rotund - Just a plain run of the mill Dempsey even while definitely clinically obese he still got old ( very old ) and managed to live to be old enough for the kids to grow up and lose interest in him lived 14 or 15 years - to hear that the EBJD only lives 2 years makes me wonder why the "breed" is perpetuated when they barely live to maturity .

They are a genetically weak fish over here but in the good ol' USA they live longer and are stronger.

Over there they have bred blue to blue and kept the strongest genetics breeding.

The results are a better looking and stronger fish that lives longer, hopefully that will happen with them here.

I have seen the stubby face and wrong shape ebjd and I think the deformities are from inbreeding.

The issue is that people see the $$$ and don't cull like they should.

As far as I know there is two bloodlines of ebjd in aus, one of them is a blue/green colour the other is more blue.

The parents of one line came from the 'wild' Yamba jack dempseys so maybe the lack of genetic diversity is one of the factors contributing to getting blues in the first place.

I hadn't really thought about how long they live until I read this, it got me thinking that the largest one I've seen was around 10cm.

If anyone has any larger ebjd or one that has lived longer than a couple of years please comment or even better throw up a pic.

Cheers mick

They are a line bred artificial fish so a lot of genetic weakness is expected. We don't have the experience or market place to continue developing the line here in Australia. Most breeders are satisfied with just producing fry, not willing to grow out, track and cull broodstock to improve the fish. Discus, fancy goldfish, guppies etc all went down this path and their development continues. In Australia, people aren't picky or knowledgeable enough for a breeder to invest time, effort and money as people will just buy the cheapest priced fish.

I dunno, they maybe weak but with tlc they can still live many years. Prob is usually their split partner murders them in a dv rage.

Where is [MENTION=1021]sarah1234[/MENTION] or [MENTION=323]fishking[/MENTION] ?

For the record ebjd combined with red swordtails and nls pellets is a great mix. Very lucky :)

I dunno, they maybe weak but with tlc they can still live many years. Prob is usually their split partner murders them in a dv rage.

Where is [MENTION=1021]sarah1234[/MENTION] or [MENTION=323]fishking[/MENTION] ?

For the record ebjd combined with red swordtails and nls pellets is a great mix. Very lucky :)

Also [MENTION=89]borntobreed[/MENTION]? and [MENTION=4392]Bundy1[/MENTION]

Understandable but that's why we have weak gene pools and lazy fish breeders here in Australia.

Yeah Winston is bang on the Money. JDs in general need to be brought back. A trip to Angoorie to catch a few "wild" ones would be the best place to start I reckon. Inbreeding and limited gene pool is IMHO a non issue with a wild or feral population as nature does the culling for you, only the best survive and they pass on good genes. Inbreeding really is only an issue in domestic populations as people don't cull properly. Anyone fancy a trip to Yamba ?