Bek

Advice needed!!!!

Hi guys... I have found myself in the situation of singledom, after my partner walked out on us. I have a 5 ft 5 tank, that is home to a Sleepy Cod, about 40cms, and an Albino Pleco. Did have a Saratoga in it, but he went this week. I also have a 4 ft tank with a barramundi.

So, I have no idea how to look after these guys, being as my partner did it, was his hobby. He left us 2 months ago and I have no idea where he is, he isn't interested in the fish at all. I need some advice on how to best look after them! I top up their water, and feed them, but I don't know how to do a water change. Is there any other way apart from good old fashioned sucking on the end of a hose to get the water out??

I'm also wondering if I can introduce the barra back into the big tank, he was seriously picked on by the toga and was close to death, so I quarantined him and he is now fighting fit :-) But, as we are being kicked out of our house, I can't keep both tanks going.

Also wanted to introduce some plants to the tank, is that possible??

I'm sorry I sound like a ****, please I'm trying to do the best I can here. the cod has got some of that white fungus stuff on his fin, had a major run in with the Toga when I was trying to top up their water. I put a dose of Melafix in the tank, I don't know if I should do anything else???

I just need a bit of advice on how to do this, my ex is just not interested at all, long ****ty story... but I want to look after these guys! Love Sam the Cod and Barry the Barramundi and Shrek the Pleco to bits!!! I can't just let them get sicker until they die... any and all advice will be so appreciated!!! thanks :-)

I'm not sure how much experience you have so I'll start at the basics.

Good knowledge to have is what cycling a filter is and its relation with the nitrogen cycle.

[MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION] may be able to help with the cod, Barra situation. But the actual size of the tank we need to know and what filter you are using.

Plants with big fish don't generally end well.

As to the fungus on the cod, what temp is the tank and as always a picture is worth a thousand words, so if you can get a pic of the tank and cod up here it will help a lot.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for that. Just measured the tank, it is 150cm long x 40cm wide x60 cm deep (water level) , the filter is a fluval FX5... tried to get a pic of the cod, he's sleeping under his log :-) I know my son had a fighter fish years ago that got those cloudy white fungus spots on him, we put him in a container with (some green stuff?) and he was ok... God, I do sound like a noob, I know about nutrient cycling etc.. but from ponds not tanks! I will try for a pic when Sam is hungry ;-)

Is there any other way apart from good old fashioned sucking on the end of a hose to get the water out??.......Yes ...stick the end of your garden hose on the tank turn it on for a few seconds once the is full of water unplug it and drop it on the ground that will start the siphon and save you getting a month full of fish tank water :noidea:

Hi guys... I have found myself in the situation of singledom, after my partner walked out on us. I have a 5 ft 5 tank, that is home to a Sleepy Cod, about 40cms, and an Albino Pleco. Did have a Saratoga in it, but he went this week. I also have a 4 ft tank with a barramundi.

So, I have no idea how to look after these guys, being as my partner did it, was his hobby. He left us 2 months ago and I have no idea where he is, he isn't interested in the fish at all. I need some advice on how to best look after them! I top up their water, and feed them, but I don't know how to do a water change. Is there any other way apart from good old fashioned sucking on the end of a hose to get the water out??

I'm also wondering if I can introduce the barra back into the big tank, he was seriously picked on by the toga and was close to death, so I quarantined him and he is now fighting fit :-) But, as we are being kicked out of our house, I can't keep both tanks going.

I'm sorry I sound like a ****, please I'm trying to do the best I can here. the cod has got some of that white fungus stuff on his fin, had a major run in with the Toga when I was trying to top up their water. I put a dose of Melafix in the tank, I don't know if I should do anything else???

I just need a bit of advice on how to do this, my ex is just not interested at all, long ****ty story... but I want to look after these guys! Love Sam the Cod and Barry the Barramundi and Shrek the Pleco to bits!!! I can't just let them get sicker until they die... any and all advice will be so appreciated!!! thanks :-)

maybe a handful for you to deal with.... make a quick sale

I know its hard as you are obviously attached to these fish, but my strong recomendation is to sell them and use that money to fund some easier fish (or baby versions of these fish). As it is, these fish are already too large for the aquarium they are in and moving them all with a tank and then learning how to cycle the aquarium all at once will be a task and a half. This was you can sell, move the tanks empty, learn the basics and set up the aquarium in the new house with your own fish... Not ones that remind u of the person that left.

If it is absolutely too hard to sell (which im sure everyone here can understand) then theres definately strategies we can take to move them happily :)

alternatively..... jump on you tube, search "how to water change my aquarium"

Hi again Bek I replied to your pm regarding the re-introduction. Salt will quickly clear up the cod. Non-iodised salt - be it pool salt or supermarket bought. Just shoot me back another pm for dose. If you don't want to "suck on a hose" you can use a powerhead (submersible pump) to pump the water out. Connect it to a long hose and run it straight out into your garden. Be sure to use a good quality chlorine nuetraliser - I strongly recommend Continuum Fraction (available from Age of Aquarium). Do a double dose of nuetraliser whenever you change the water. Hard, Alkaline water is good. If you get your water supply from Bris - should be perfect. If from Stradbroke / Tingalpa it may need testing. You can add some shell grit to the tank to help buffer it if needed. As they are large messy fish they will require quite regular water changes. What are you feeding them? As an aside sorry to hear about your situation - happy to provide any advice I can to help. Cheers

Tricky one..... if you are dedicated to keeping all can be solved. Otherwise sell and buy a simple 2 foot setup.... get a butis butis and enjoy the same fish in miniature.

How long since FX5 had a clean?

Mission yes, but might be what doctor ordered.

Make sure its done using water taken from aquarium and not tap water.

What is really needed is for someone with experience to come to your house and spend some time with you to help sort out your tank on a person to person basis.

Would be heaps better than trying to do it all your self.

Anyone in the Wynnum area want to put up their hand?

[MENTION=8264]Bec[/MENTION] The best revenge is have his tanks with fish in a better state than he left em, proving to yourself you can do it and getting there is one way to stick it to him,

Theres hundreds of years combined experience on here and some guys that will helpout where ever they can ,get yourself a regime of maintaining the tanks ,an hour once a week is a lot less hastle than trying to do a major overhaul every 6 months

Unfortunately the barra will outgrow his tank eventually ,my advise on him would be to onsell him to someone on here and buy a juvinile ,then just do it again as the juvi grows up ,having a barra too big for his tank is no fun for him and he will only survive not thrive.The same as sticking a human in a 8ft x 6ft jail cell

as you learn more you may find that you like different fish for different reasons ,i like archerfish just because they spit water at insects and knock them in the water for lunch

you will evolve into your own style of fishkeeper and if that means changing from the cards you were dealt,hats not a bad thing

BEFORE moving get some advice on here about best way to move big fish cos im out of my depth on that one

Thanks [MENTION=11290]billfish[/MENTION], that's pretty much my plan ;-) Just to make him well and truly obsolete... not for spite, just because I know I can!!!

Yeh, what to do with Barry... maybe once I sell of all the excess crap I've accumulated, I can pick up a bigger tank.. at least, that's what I'm hoping!! I'm really attached to him as I nursed him back to health a year ago, he stopped eating, his ribs were sticking through his sides. My ex wanted to stick him in the freezer, I bought him his own tank and persevered with him, now, a year on, he is as feisty as ever!!!

Thanks for all the advice, I have a local guy coming around to run me through everything I need to do.. and they WILL be healthier and happier :-)

Thanks for offering to help [MENTION=14086]Lofties[/MENTION], I didn't want to put you out of your way!!!

Seriously, appreciate it all so much..

Have included some pics, I don't know if I should be worried about that warty thing on the cods mouth, and sorry for the crap pic, he started swimming, but you can make out a crumpled piece on his dorsal fin, that's where the white fungus was, looks all shrivelled up now. And of course, one of Barry, just coz he's lovely :-)

post-13355-14711634158361_thumb.jpg

post-13355-14711634157984_thumb.jpg

post-13355-14711634158202_thumb.jpg

I suggest that when you have to have your moving day that perhaps we get a working bee together, some of us with utes/flat beds come over and move the tanks for you. Shouldn't be too hard to get a possie together to do that. It often happens on here.

There'll only be the one hopefully... still want to integrate Barry back in with the cod and the pleco! Have been looking at 6ft tanks... oh dear! I am going to do this, love these guys!! Barry is feisty, the cod is so ugly that only I could love him :-D So is the warty looking thing on his mouth anything to worry about you think? Or just give them a proper dose of Melafix when I get to do the water change and see what happens??

And again... thank you. Had a **** night at hospital with my little boy, it's so nice to know that there are good people left!!!!!

No, I don't know Cam the fish guy :-) It's a friend of my son's, he was the original owner of the cod and the barra but gave them to us when he wanted a mangrove jack. He's worked at Annerley Aquariums for a few years, though think he's stopped now getting to the pointy end of Year 12. Incidentally, I know it's a bit of a crap pic.. but do you think that warty thing on the cods mouth is ok [MENTION=5455]Donny[/MENTION]@ageofaqaurims? And is there anything in particular I should feed them? Looked at the feeder fish at Petbarn today, they looked manky and gross! They get raw peeled prawns and the cod eats raw chicken, not often, and apart from that my ex was feeding them cichlid pellets, the hikari ones. The pleco gets algae wafers every couple of days, and now the saratoga's gone I can get some zucchini or cucumber into him.. and that's where my knowledge ends!!! Google results vary... I'd rather someone who knows tell me! I think the barra would benefit from feeders, he loves stalking again.. but I know they can introduce problems, fungus etc. Or so the ex said!!