Finn

I need help with Red Forest Jewel Cichlis!!!

I am planning to breed red forest jewels, In a 60 gallon tank. I would like to know a couple of things please! Is this tank too big to breed them in? Am I supposed to have other fish in their as i heard that the male will kill the female and eat the babies if there is no other predatory fish? How many fish am I supposed to have?

Also, do you know where i could get some of them?

Any help about them would be great, as I am very eager to breed them!!!

Thank you very much in advance.

First- the tank is not too big !

Second- best to get 6 or so young ones and grow them out together and let them pair off on their own .and just let them do their thing .

I would suggest you give Smiths at Boondal a ring , They may have them or know somebody who does .

Or Put an add in the for sale section in this forum looking for 6 or so juveniles - most likely somebody has them .

I would try the forum first ,

Do not worry if they are on the small size - as with plenty of room and good food they will grow .

If possible plenty of sticks and logs for them to hide in while they sort out a pecking order and pair off .

Clean water is essential when breeding so do not forget regular waterchanges and good filtration .

Thanks pony-tail! I will have a look at Smith's! So Once the guys have formed a pair, I just leave the other 4 or so jewels in their with them? Won't they eat the baby's?

Thank you so much for your help!

It is always better to give the dimensions of your tank rather than gallons.

We can better relate to size than gallons. Well for me anyway!

Once you have a pair of fish in spawning mode best to take the others out if possible.

Hi Finn.

First up, like mbunamad said, dimensions are much easier for people to relate to. Gallons aren't commonly used in Australia, and it's possible to have tanks with different dimensions holding the same volume. Typically footprint is the most important dimension.

Typically with a dedicated breeding set up, you need more than one tank as you have a breeding tank and one or more grow out tanks.

Thanks pk33! So please correct me if I am wrong: I have about 6 - 10 Red Jewel juvies in the tank to start out with, I then wait for them to grow up and pair off, After they have paired I leave remaining red jewels IN the tank with the pair, I wait for them to breed and after the eggs have hatched and they are free swimming, I siphon the baby's out and place them in a grow out tank? Can I leave the baby's in the big tank for the pair to raise?

Thank you so much everybody for your help! Sorry about the gallons thing... I am new to this forum so thanks for helping me out!

Once you have a breeding pair, you sell the rest, unless you have extra tanks to keep a pair in each.

Once you have a breeding pair, leave the parents in to raise the fry for the first few weeks. You will also need a couple of home made brine shrimp hatcheries. Youtube has lots of videos on how to make bbs hatcheries.

Once a few weeks old, you can remove the fry to a grow out tank.

Hemichromis bimaculatus (Jewel Cichlid) — Seriously Fish

I have mine breeding in a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft, with other fish in the tank next to them i don't have any issues with the male and female fighting. They protect their young very well. Just to be safe I took the fry out once they were "free" swimming i.e not just hanging on the bottom of the tank. Then feed them like you do any fry.

Hello again! I just got three red jewels today!!! They are all about 13cm long. As I want to breed them, would it be bad if they inbred as they are from the same family??? I don't want to go through the trouble of selling them and finding more!!! Please help!

They will be ok It is better to get different blood lines if possible but not a huge drama.

If the truth is known they are probably all related anyway from previous generations.

as long as you are selective about any fry you raise and the parent fish are of decent quality then it should be fine, but if you are getting deformed fry then stop breeding from the pair and cull the fry and start again with a new pair.

My apologies!..... They are around 7-8 cm! (I used an online ruler that didn't correctly adjust to my screen resolution....) Thanks for the info! If the fry are deformed, I will definitely get a new pair! They are also a very dull grey colour....Is this normal for them when they have just been put in a new tank? Also, when would I expect them to pair up and breed? Thank you for your help!

Hello everyone! I just bought a 15 cm Red Jewel that is most likely a male, and he is in the tank with the other three 7cm jewels. I think that 2 of the three smaller jewels are females, as their fins are less tapered than the other ones. Would they breed if they were this different in length? The new male is bigger than double the others.......Thank you in advance!