Bek

HELP!! White spots on sleepy cod

Hi guys... Yes I am a noob. I have been left with a just under 5ft tank with a sleepy cod and an albino pleco. There was a Saratoga but he was too flighty and had to go. My ex set this tank up, he walked out 2 months ago and won't help at all. The cod developed these white patches on him, one on the side and one where his pectoral fin joins his body.

I have bought some Melafix, but everything is telling me I need to change at least 25% of the water before adding it.. I honestly don't know how?? Is it really necessary to do that, or can I give him a dose and cross my fingers???

I know, I sound like a ditz, I don't want the guys to suffer just coz my ex is being a child!!! I'm worried about the cod.. so what do you say? Am I better off dosing for now with no water change (it's been at least 4 months since it was done) and get someone to help me change it when I can, or what???

I have one of my son's friends coming to help me and run me through the basics, but they are in the middle of QCS (Yr 12) so I can't put that on him now!!

ANY and ALL advice appreciated :-)

post-13355-14711634173336_thumb.jpg

post-13355-14711634173147_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bek

Well I wussed out and used a bucket.. took about a third out, topped it with full dose of Prime and Melafix, fingers crossed!!! Fish water.... I see the size of those turds!!!!

Edited by Bek

[MENTION=13355]Bek[/MENTION] said:

"Fish water.... I see the size of those turds!!!! "

You made my day lmao!!

It is better to syphon so you can suck some of those turds out and do a gravel clean as well. As said above ^^^^^^ get a gravel cleaner that you don't have to suck on.

Just use Listerine when finished you will feel good!

Well I wussed out and used a bucket.. took about a third out, topped it with full dose of Prime and Melafix, fingers crossed!!! Fish water.... I see the size of those turds!!!!

[MENTION=13355]Bek[/MENTION] With your sense of humour you would fit into chat nicely!

Its at the bottom of the home page. And there is also serious fish talk so there is a good chance you will have your questions answered "live"

Best time is after around 7.30 pm.